Exhaust manifold studs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
What is the reason these break? besides taking them out...I got my truck on a lift and seen one on the passenger lower bank with the head broke off...however there is a tiny piece of stud sticking out...engine has never had any major mechanical...thanks

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think its because they are steel and they rust like no other! And the expanding and contracting of the engine and the manifold.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
heat. like said. they exspand and contract like anyother piece of metal dose under heat and cool down. dont worry is one i broken off. but if you 3+ go get new manifolds and have a company put them in. cause theyll need to most likely drill out and re tap a lot of the screws. ask me how i know. they did 12 out of the 16 to drill out on mine. they only charged me 8 since there was some time delay with ford sending them the wrong part. o well.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My new 97 came with a lot of receipts and in there was one for new exhaust manifolds. There were 4 bolts that had to be drilled out. Total bill was $1600. WOW

Last edited:

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
I had a few bolts broken off on my truck when I did my head work. I was fortunate enough that all of my bolts could be removed with a little bit of PB Blaster and a pair of vice grips. I have since upgraded to capscrew bolts. They should take the heat abuse much better. So far, no problems with those bolts. BTW, I bought those bolts at Lowes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nameisbry