Expedition 2019 Platinum 4A mode really "auto" or is it actually 4H?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dtximages

Reaction score
When you're on the "Power Distribution" screen you can see which wheels are getting power. Obviously, on 2H only the rear wheels get power. But, on 4A, I've noticed all four wheels get power ALL THE TIME, NOT JUST WHEN NEEDED - which is what most 4A's do. Is this really the case? If so, why not call it what it really is -- 4H, not 4A.

Am I missing something?

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you're on the "Power Distribution" screen you can see which wheels are getting power. Obviously, on 2H only the rear wheels get power. But, on 4A, I've noticed all four wheels get power ALL THE TIME, NOT JUST WHEN NEEDED - which is what most 4A's do. Is this really the case? If so, why not call it what it really is -- 4H, not 4A.

Am I missing something?
So the 4a will engage almost every time from a standstill but once you get up to speed it'll disengage.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Am I missing something?
The 4A power distribution is dependent on which drive mode you are in. At least this is the case with my 21.

1badhabit

Reaction score
In a straight line 4A will almost always apply power to the front wheels. It will not when turning unless traction conditions dictate it's needed.

4H applies power to the front regardless of steering input or traction conditions.

Beachums

Reaction score
4A engages the front hubs. At that point the front driveline is turning with the wheels (hence the lower fuel mileage). Based on what the Terrain Management computer dictates, either it locks the center diff 50/50 (Mud/Ruts, Sand)... or the transfer case is then monitoring the output shafts to the front and rear differentials. When it sees a difference, it will actuate a set of clutches to add torque to the front driveline.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the management system thinks it needs it, then it puts power to the front. If you see power applied to the front wheels, then I guess it thinks it ‘needs it’. Ergo, as needed seems correct :)

Silver-Bullet-Bus

Reaction score
There is 4A, which provides limited slips,
Where the power train control module can shift power around based on traction & or slipping,
Vs the 4H, which is 4wd, locked up, in high on the transfer case

OP
OP
D

dtximages

Reaction score
Interesting and thanks for the feedback. I guess that's why it defaults to 2H. I've always driven in 4A in my other cars and Fords as they applied zero power to the front wheels unless the rear wheels slipped.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
My 2017 (Gen3) works the same way as above in 4A. I call it "Subaru mode" (we've had 3 of them) as it seems all wheels get some power all the time when viewing in the "off road" screen. I normally run 2H and can feel the engine load increase with switching to 4A so running the front axle seems to be just adding wear when I don't need power to the front.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
D

dtximages

Reaction score
Here's what really bothers me about this mode though. When you put it in SPORT mode it automatically shifts to 4A sending power to the front EVEN ON THE INTERSTATE. To me, SPORT mode should just adjust the transmission or maybe even fuel to give more power/sportier feel. But Sport is actually an "offroad" mode I guess to Ford.