Expedition Seat compatibility?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adwmac6

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2015 Expedition Limited. It currently has captain seats for the 2nd row but found that we are expecting, so I really need a bench 2nd row. I have researched and see that you can simply add the middle, missing seat.

Does anyone know if the 2nd row, middle seat of an Explorer (or all Gen 3 Expedition) are the same as the Expedition? I dont have one to look at.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, other models won’t have the same seats and the Explorer is quite smaller. You’ll have to look for 2015-17 model year range seats specifically. 2007-2014 is a different interior altogether so avoid our years (so we have spare parts for each other) lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adwmac6

Reaction score
No, other models won’t have the same seats and the Explorer is quite smaller. You’ll have to look for 2015-17 model year range seats specifically. 2007-2014 is a different interior altogether so avoid our years (so we have spare parts for each other) lol.

Ok, thank you very much for the info.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, thank you very much for the info.

Ive included pics of my 2007 Expedition EL bench seat in the chance the 07-14 is the same as the 15-17. It’s possible but I don’t want to steer you the wrong way is all.

1C51C208-52C7-41DB-9072-7C0244A865BC.jpeg
B373EC1B-C59C-4BC2-BF11-E98123DB2ABE.jpeg

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will the bolt holes be in the floor on the bucket seat models???

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There have been numerous threads on this before. The seats should be the same for 2007-17. The interior colors are slightly different 2007-14 and 2015-17 (for example, Charcoal Black '07-'14 vs. Ebony '15-'17).

The "captain's chairs" have a different upper seat frame. For whatever reason, Ford did not just make one frame to use for both types of seats (i.e. with and without those skinny armrests).

You can remove your armrests if you don't mind having a hole in the upholstery. You won't be able to see it unless the middle seat gets folded flat or you slide it forward.

You'll need a middle seat that matches your interior. Like I said, colors for 2015-17 may be slightly different.

The holes should be there in the floor but they won't be tapped. You will have to cut access holes in your carpet. Be very careful with this -- replacement OEM carpet is not cheap! The bolts are self-tapping. You might want to use anti-seize compound as they are exposed under the truck and will corrode. Note that seat attachment points are SAFETY CRITICAL so be sure to look up and follow factory torque guidelines. Use a torque wrench and make sure the bolts are properly tightened to spec.

Finally, be aware there is an extra hole in the floor under the middle seat that has a rubber plug. This plug has to come out when you install the middle seat since part of the seat frame goes in that hole. If you ever remove the center seat, be sure to plug it back up again, otherwise you will have a hole straight through to the outside world that will let in bugs, vermin, outside air, and exhaust fumes. (Ask me how I know. . . LOL! ;) )