Expy is in the shop, been driving a rental Suburban...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put them back in 2005-2007 5.4s and watch the forum come alive! And it surely wouldn't be about some behind the dash fan noise! It would be a noise they'd hear for sure. Sorry new guys, I know you love your 2016-18 SUVs, but your reaping the rewards of Ford's mistake years. Too bad Ford didn't offer a Chevy 350 replacement motor option like Jaguar did back in the 80"s, for their xj series. Scary that people actually did the swap, and kept the Jags. I would have put a 4 sale sign on it right after I got the Jag motor running and knock free.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Put them back in 2005-2007 5.4s and watch the forum come alive! And it surely wouldn't be about some behind the dash fan noise! It would be a noise they'd hear for sure. Sorry new guys, I know you love your 2016-18 SUVs, but your reaping the rewards of Ford's mistake years. Too bad Ford didn't offer a Chevy 350 replacement motor option like Jaguar did back in the 80"s, for their xj series. Scary that people actually did the swap, and kept the Jags. I would have put a 4 sale sign on it right after I got the Jag motor running and knock free.

Had 2 tritons in the past. One was in a 150 4x4 the other a 250 Fx4 with the 4r100.

Good motor at times, really enjoyed the 250 being it was an 05 black over tan lariat trim ex cab short bed. Very fun truck to drive as a daily.... until the pcm would completely shutdown with the vehicle was in motion. Scariest shit I've ever dealt with. Had it happen once on a massive highway over pass and lost all power steering. Shifted to neutral, switch key off then on, and regained control. It got traded in that week for my first diesel and never looked back. It was also the same time cash for clunkers was going on so actually made money off that truck on the trade in. Win win all the way around.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 5.4 3V is a pretty good engine, some early ones had timing set difficulties but a majority never saw issues and are on the original timing set at 200k + miles with good care. Engine was built strongly, capable of going hundreds of thousands of miles. Certainly the expy wouldn’t be so high up on the reliability and longevity lists if the modular motor was so bad. Expy has been sold for 20 years, 10 of those years (half) being sold with the 5.4 3V engine. Other 10 being broken up with 6 years of the 2V and 4 years of ecoboost. The early 3.5 ecoboost had growing pains as well, timing chain problems, intake valve coking, intercooler issues, etc. doesn’t mean it’s a bad motor. It was fixable too.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
J like Habbibie stated earlier in the week, you got an 07, just out of the danger years. My 2000 has been so far the most dependable truck I've ever owned. 4 years in 2 months, with very little wrong. I haven't changed plugs yet, and don't plan to any time soon. Just went over 100k about 3 weeks back. Never had a vehicle I was scared to work on. Can't even imagine driving up my highway 1 south grade, and spitting out a spark plug. But it's a reality if I mess with them. Still running strong with no miss, no codes, so in they stay. Sure like to trade it for that 2019 F150. Sure like that blue one! Well someday.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, I didn’t mean for my post to be interpreted as a complaint. I suppose I’m just questioning why Ford didn’t make the MAX as long as Suburban. Those extra 3” would give its cargo about 4 extra cubic feet of space.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gordon, a lot of times contrary to other stupid things manufactures offer, sometimes they actually make a vehicle a certain size for a reason. Our Expedition is big no doubt, but making it that 12-24 inches longer can be a deal breaker for some when shopping for a new truck/SUV. Parking is #1 on that extra length. Everybody thinks I need the F150 with the 8 foot bed, and the crew cab. Ever try parallel parking a beast like that in a downtown area? It ain't easy even for the most experienced driver. Couple that with Dumbo eared F-250 mirrors, and it's a handful to drive. I remember when I got my 2000 4 years back, it took me about 3 weeks to start relaxing while driving it. It's 4 wheel drive and lifted some, Tinted windows. Part of the reason the Excursion didn't hang around is people probably realized the Expedition was enough, and sales reflected that. Our Suv's are going on 22 years of production and selling faster than Ford can churn them out. Maybe in 2020 or 21, they'll make a limited volume extended version, time will tell.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Come on Hab, J Ski is always going to town in this section, not like he needs more encouragement LOL.
Every time I see a negitive smart ass comment from a username I don’t recognize I automatically go: is this J Ski??

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Expedtion has an extra 5” of front to back space in the 3rd row behind the 2nd row seats compared to the Suburban. That plus the full depth floor makes it SO much more comfortable for adults/teens to sit back there. The Expy is a better people hauler. The Suburban is a better cargo hauler.

I bought a used 3rd gen (2016) for exactly this reason. I thought when my older two became adults one of them would move out. So in 2015 I went from minivan to Jeep Patriot. Putting three kids between 10 years old and adult in there didn’t work. The Patriot was totaled in January.

One of my older two is autistic and really needs space to himself. He is 5’10” and couldn’t fit in a suburban well or Nissan Pathfinder. When shopping I made a point of sitting in the back. I am 6’2” and if I can fit he can. It is a trade off. Most of the time he isn’t with us so the third row goes down for hauling.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Independent rear suspension isn't as good for off roading, but that being said, you don't want a solid axle on a top heavy vehicle like the Chevy, or our Fords. Having to make an emergency swing to another lane when you can't stop, and it's wet, then you hit a dry spot, and you'll pray for that independent suspension. I owned a 56 Volkswagen with a swing axle/ non independent, and had that scenario, that almost flipped me and my 2 friends over. My 2000 is solid, but wish it was independent. Like disc vs drum brakes, no comparison.

BS on the top heavy. Every big rig, straight truck and school busses use a solid axle. Even the Mustang had them, until a couple of years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt