Factory Roof Rack Factoid of The Day (FOTD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Factory Roof Rack Factoid of The Day (FOTD)

The factory roof rack, with factory cross bars, is rated at 200 lbs (90kilos) without the sunroof and 125 (56 kilos) with the sunroof when evenly distributed.

The factory crossbars come in a pair and there are three slots to place the crossbars (one mandatory in the front due to a different size). I wonder if there would be a use for three to distribute weight and add another place to further secure the load?

YMMV

Reaction score
Wonder if anyone has removed and added a custom (commercial) rack system with better load rating? For tent /storage etc...

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone has removed and added a custom (commercial) rack system with better load rating? For tent /storage etc...

I will be next year. Looking at this one from LGE_CTS. I will also order the non-roof rack finished covers and trim them to fit between the mounts. This should give a little more finished look.

upload_2020-12-1_14-53-49.png

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just another FYI. These numbers are the dynamic load rating. Not the static load. Most manufacturers do not give a static load rating. The dynamic load limit is to ensure there is no major changes in the center of gravity causing adverse vehicle handling. That’s why the moon roof is less. They take the weight of the glass and motors out of the final number. Just getting a stronger rack will be better for static loads. But more weight on top will change your CG. My awning is almost 70lbs. Adds up quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk