Factory Sub - 2017 Expedition EL Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean_Dean

Reaction score
Picked up a used '17 EL Ltd with the Sony system recently and looking at speaker upgrades. Doors are easy enough but wondering about the sub.

Anyone replaced the factory sub using the factory enclosure with aftermarket? What did you use? How much better was the sound?

Crutchfield has a number of different choices including the JL 8W1v3.4 which is a single coil. Or they have 2 different Alpine subs, both DVC, one at 2ohms and one at 4.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couple things you'll need to concentrate on. 1, you need to be sure the replacement sub is the same impedance. Any lower, you'll overheat the amp, any higher, you'll lose efficiency. If the newer 8 inch subs are like the earlier ones on first and second editions, they have a bolt that goes through the magnet to help support it. You may have to improvise with the JL speaker. Also very important is the efficiency of the JL. The stock Ford amp is not real high on wattage, probably around 60-75 watts mono, most factory speakers are high sensitivity. As always recommended, be sure the speaker is returnable, just in case it doesn't sound right, or won't fit right. I've returned a lot of speakers that the salesman said would sound great in my system. You might consider using a higher wattage amp with the factory sub. As long as you don't go crazy on the wattage, say a amp that's 100-150watts mono, you should hear a difference.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360