Factory subwoofer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it possible you've got a fader, or something that's limiting bass output, on your stock system. Even wirh bass control turned up, you still have no low end. Why not try another shop to be sure you don't have a bad stock sub amp, or speaker. The best people to deal with for advice is Crutchfield car stereo. Give them a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Crutchfield sales. The man I spoke to said their were some Expeditions that did not come with Subs. You need to look in the passenger rear, and see if theirs a plastic perforated or slotted cover. Mine in my 2000 expy is right in front of your jack stowaway. You can hear it also if it's there. As far as an upgrade if you have a sub, will be difficult. The stock subs only use a 35 wpc amp, and most aftermarket need at least 60-100 wpc to get them thumping. Figure out first if your system does have a sub. Then maybe diagnose if it's your amp or speaker, that's not doing it's job. Keep us posted.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Expedition EL XLT Premium model. It has the sub which is a small 8" deal that sounds muddy. I replaced the door speakers which were crappy paper based units weighing about a pound between them. No way an audiophile with good ears would accept the sound they produced.

I replaced the door speakers with Inifinty Kappa 60.11cs speakers, everything else remains stock. The head unit was built by Clarion. The difference was AMAZING just with the door speakers. The bass improved because now the doors were able to participate.

I wouldn't classify myself as an audiophile as I don't buy in to a lot of what they argue about on a consistent basis. But I appreciate good sound.

If you replace the subwoofer that you probably have, you'll need a new amp to go with it. I'd go to the best (most trustworthy) sound shop in your area and talk about options.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess the late models must have some real crud for factory installed stereo. I had 2 different Lincoln town cars that I drove for years. The first was a 2001, the second was a 2008. They both had incredible stock stereo systems. You'd think with what they charge these days, for an expedition, you'd get a half way decent stereo. But like all the other issues these SUVs have, we keep paying top dollar, just to pay more for a listenable stereo. Growing up in the 70's and 80's, you were used to swapping out stereos. But in this day and age, of manufacturers being able to supply a decent stock unit, this is unacceptable. My 2000 expy is not great, but has the premium mach stereo, that is at least good enough sound, that it doesn't mandatorily have to be replaced. Seems like Ford is going back to the 80's when it comes to electronics. What a shame!

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, my 1999 Eddie Bauer had the Mach system as well. I had other things to spend my money on as it sounded good enough for me. If you think about it, what's the first thing a manufacturer can do to cut costs? Unfortunately, cut the sound.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's funny how they realized they were losing out to all the aftermarket, then they must have put in one of the bean counters sons or daughter, whose father worked in the 70's or 80's, and said well we got them thinking their getting a good stereo. Then like everything else, start cutting back, thinking the public won't notice. They should have a delete option like they used to, that way you add whatever head units, amps, and speakers you choose. But that will never happen. American manufactures tell you this is what you want, whereas Japanese ask what do you want in a vehicle. Small wonder why they outsold the U.S for years, Germans too!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The premium system that I have in my 17 is very good. The sound is clear, the bass is loud and I am pretty happy with it.

ads245

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I have the 12 speaker Sony system and my subwoofer is shorting out. Being replaced under warranty, but it's been on backorder for 2 months. . .