Fake engine noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And to be honest...and not as a criticism...I don’t understand why people care. I get if you’re buying a 6 cylinder and trying to pass it off to your friends as an 8 so you play fake audio...but if Ford wants to pipe in some fake noise to make my vehicle sound better, go for it! I guess I don’t understand.

I'm with you. Are buyers that naive or do buyers really want engine noise that badly?

Geez what are they going to do for sound on the electric Harley Davidson motorcyle?

On the other hand having a v-8 engine noise in a Prius would be funny.

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always liked the Subaru boxer engine sound, the offset length of the header pipes due to the 2<->2 flat layout always sounded nice to my ear. Also like the Dodge Rams with 2 pipes one from each bank, again that nice offset sound if your standing at an angle to the rear as it idles by.

<Rant>Straight pipes sound nice at idle and boulevard cruising, I really mean that, but the rest of the time you're ******* me off at night while I try to get to sleep to get up to go to work in the morning. And as for the muppet near me with a lovely Challenger scat pack and shaker hood who decided to straight pipe it so that 1/2 the neighbors with infants get to put them back down every time he 0-60s down the residential road in the evening, that f**ker will get a brick in his windshield from an irate new mother and I for one will have seen nothing. Officer.<EndRant>

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd be really interested to see a video comparing the sound in the cabin with the fake noise and without. So all you folks with Forscan and not enough to do...get on it!!! Haha
There is a video floating around I saw doing just this... he was doing it on his raptor. There was a difference but I think the mic on the camera couldn’t discern as much as your human ear would.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always liked the Subaru boxer engine sound, the offset length of the header pipes due to the 2<->2 flat layout always sounded nice to my ear. Also like the Dodge Rams with 2 pipes one from each bank, again that nice offset sound if your standing at an angle to the rear as it idles by.

<Rant>Straight pipes sound nice at idle and boulevard cruising, I really mean that, but the rest of the time you're ******* me off at night while I try to get to sleep to get up to go to work in the morning. And as for the muppet near me with a lovely Challenger scat pack and shaker hood who decided to straight pipe it so that 1/2 the neighbors with infants get to put them back down every time he 0-60s down the residential road in the evening, that f**ker will get a brick in his windshield from an irate new mother and I for one will have seen nothing. Officer.<EndRant>
I like those types of challenger/charger owners. Really brings out the irate ppl that are jealous such as yourself

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep you're right, in secret I am in awe of their elite hacksaw skills :)

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Couldn't agree with you more people need to respect the people that live around them.
You have a problem with someone take it up with them not their property because that would just make it worse and you a muppet. I was that way right after I just got my license and a gentleman stepped up to me and set me strait. ( and we had never got along) but he gave me respect and treated me like a man so I gave it back. After that I even jumped my friends who didn't respect my neighborhood.
So go have that talk man to man and remember you get what you give.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I turned off the fake engine noise with FORScan. I wanted to hear the actual engine so I can tell if something is starting to go amiss. Sometimes your ears can warn you of a potential problem before it becomes a break down.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with you. Are buyers that naive or do buyers really want engine noise that badly?

Geez what are they going to do for sound on the electric Harley Davidson motorcyle?

On the other hand having a v-8 engine noise in a Prius would be funny.

Having SOME kind of noise from a Prius doing parking lot maneuvers would be nice

Kind of shocking there isn't any law requiring em to at least get backup alarms or something... been near-clipped by a few of em sneaking up before

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My biggest issue with it is the fact it is tied to the automatic shut off of the engine at stops. The engine stops but the sound continues. When mine was in for warranty paint work the 2018 F-150 had that and the fake noise. It just seems like a lot of wear on the starter for a minor mpg gain.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My biggest issue with it is the fact it is tied to the automatic shut off of the engine at stops. The engine stops but the sound continues. When mine was in for warranty paint work the 2018 F-150 had that and the fake noise. It just seems like a lot of wear on the starter for a minor mpg gain.
Im so confused. When my ASS kicks in and shuts the motor down, my vehicle is quiet as a tomb...there is absolutely no engine noise. Are you saying that when your motor shuts off at a stop the sounds continues as though it is on? Are you sure your motor is actually shutting off? Lot's of times the vehicle will override the ASS and prevent it from killing the engine for climate control or charging.