First oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DD777

Reaction score
Just wanted to get your thoughts and when you guys have done your first oil change and then after that what schedule do you plan to stick with? Thanks!

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I normally do my first oil change at 1000-1500 miles. I just picked up my Navigator a couple of days ago. I may do my first oil change on this vehicle based on the oil life and change the oil at about 20% used.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm still not there yet, but I figure I'll have the first change done somewhere around 3,500-4K miles and from then on every 5K mi. With every new car or truck I've ever owned, I've always done all oil changes at 5K mi. intervals and never had any issues. I just feel like I need to do the first change sooner with this vehicle.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It never is a bad thing to change oil early. On motorcycles we did first service at 600 miles. That included oil and filter change, differential oil, and a bunch of spray lubes and checks. You might want to step up to 2k for your first one, just to get rid of any metal or any debris. After that your 5k is fine. The oil catch can is recommended for your 3.5 turbo engine. Actually they work well on all modern higher compression or turbo engines. Much better than the pcv valves of the past.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First oil change 1500, then every 3,000 regardless of the oil life percent reading. I never drive the truck until the engine oil temp is "normal". Added the catch can. From what I understand it is not needed with the newer gen 3.5.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First oil change 1500, then every 3,000 regardless of the oil life percent reading. I never drive the truck until the engine oil temp is "normal". Added the catch can. From what I understand it is not needed with the newer gen 3.5.

That's true as the latest 3.5 TT has direct gas injection into the cylinder and fuel injected in a 2nd location to spray the back of the valves to "wash" the carbon off of them.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I normally do my first oil change at 1000-1500 miles. I just picked up my Navigator a couple of days ago. I may do my first oil change on this vehicle based on the oil life and change the oil at about 20% used.
This is what I did... but I had them come and get it and do it. I waited until I needed a wash as well since they do that with any service. I thought I’d miss doing the work myself but not so much, I still turn wrenches but it’s more on my terms now and it’s a lot fun for me this way.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changed oil for the first time at 1500 miles. Every 5000 miles there after. Use Ford supplied synthetic oil.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Your owners manual, breaks it down into 3 service levels. 10K normal, 5k severe(short trips) and 3K extreme/towing. The factory 'fill" oil may have break in additives and probably, little detergents. If its a lease, wait a while on the first change. If its one you will keep 'forever', I would change around 3K. Rental car companies, leave the factory oil in to the max. I don't think the engines blow.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your owners manual, breaks it down into 3 service levels. 10K normal, 5k severe(short trips) and 3K extreme/towing. The factory 'fill" oil may have break in additives and probably, little detergents. If its a lease, wait a while on the first change. If its one you will keep 'forever', I would change around 3K. Rental car companies, leave the factory oil in to the max. I don't think the engines blow.

What sort of break in additives and/or detergents?