First time Ford owner should I keep, or sell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FORDNOOB

Reaction score
I Have a family of seven, three of which are in car seats. All of my other vehicles have been GM or Toyota and they have had up to 300,000 miles on them with minor repair.
I purchased my first Ford 2 years ago from a couple who were downsizing, a 2018 Ford expedition XLT. It had about 42,000 miles, two years later and after being in the shop for cam phaser repair for roughly 4 months we now are right at 70,000 miles And by the end of next year I should have it completely paid off.
My concern is one week after getting it out of the shop for the cam phaser repair, had to replace battery and alternator at the same time which at $290 for a battery and $1000 for an alternator for my family that was extremely expensive.
Talking with a friend that has the same model, they are at 90,000 miles on their vehicle and they have already had transmission problems and had to replace at least one turbo.
Should I be expecting the same?
Should I try to purchase an extended warranty while I currently do not have any problems? What warranties actually pay for repairs and which ones are just scams?
OR,…. should I just go ahead and sell it and get some of my money back and get out of it while the getting is good?
We really love the features of this vehicle and fits our family better than anything else the market. But I simply can’t afford repair cost of that can run up to this magnitude.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suggest the extended warranty. I don't think your repairs are normal...batteries are wear items and I've not heard of alternator replacement with your mileage. But I will say that certain more common repairs...turbo leaks, manifolds, phasers, etc. are expensive. The extended warranty would likely be worth it for the peace of mind. I think Flood Ford has been recommended on this forums a reputable provider for the warranties. I had a head gasket replacement at 116K that covered the cost of my warranty. The warranty ran out at 125K. Now at 145K I have a manifold leak and likely a stretch timing chain. wish I had the warranty till 150K. The vehicle's abilities are hard to replace, as only the Suburban/Denali XL have the combination of seating and long wheelbase. But I wouldn't own one again without a extended warranty covering the duration of my ownership.

Last edited:

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suggest the extended warranty. I don't think your repairs are normal...batteries are wear items and I've not heard of alternator replacement with your mileage. But I will say that certain more common repairs...turbo leaks, manifolds, phasers, etc. are expensive. The extended warranty would likely be worth it for the peace of mind. I think Flood Ford has been recommended on this forums a reputable provider for the warranties. I had a head gasket replacement at 116K that covered the cost of my warranty. The warranty ran out at 125K. Now at 145K I have a manifold leak and likely a stretch timing chain. wish I had the warranty till 150K. The vehicle's abilities are hard to replace, as only the Suburban/Denali XL have the combination of seating and long wheelbase. But I wouldn't own one again within a extended warranty covering the duration of my ownership.
Is there a manufacturer warranty option that goes to 150,000 miles?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I had mine from Fidelity through Carmax. Fidelity had a 150k option but I did 125k because I didn't realize how many miles we would put on it, plus Covid made me delay my upgrade plans. Fidelity paid for head gasket, so I can't complain.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jason H. Opposite situation here. When we bought ours in 2018, we had plans for lengthy road trips. So, we sprang for an 8-yr/150K extended warranty. Then family situation changed and Covid hit so our travel plans got placed on an indefinite hold. In hindsight, not my best vehicle expense. Although...it will take only one moonroof or power step failure and we're good again.

With very low miles and another 4 years of warranty remaining, it would be very easy to sell; but, and that's a big but, there's nothing out there that we'd consider as a replacement and what vehicles are available have been de-contented of many of the optional features we have on ours.

OP
OP
F

FORDNOOB

Reaction score
Thank you all so very much for the responses,…I’m not like most of my friends, I hate having a car note, so I’m one of those that pays off my vehicles as soon as I can (Should have this paid off by the end of 2023) and then keeps them till the wheels fall off.
Biggest repair to date, after owning for 4 years, had to rebuild the trans in my 2007 Yukon XL but even then it was only $1600, and I’ve heard a new trans in the Expedition could run $7000-$10k!!!
Haven’t even owned this Ford for 2 years and I’m already pushing $1500(Front wheel bearings and the batt & alternator)
So correct me if I’m wrong, but from what I’m getting, it’s sounding like this is not a vehicle to keep “long term” unless I’m willing to accept costly repairs.
We absolutely do love the looks and features of this Ford, but the true point of it is to transport my family safely from one place to another reliably.

Last edited:

Grizguy

Reaction score
My 07 expy had 150,000 when I bought it in florida. Drove it 85 mph to northwest PA . It had 250,000 when I sold it.. I did have to replace a coil pack and spark plugs. I liked it so much I bought a new 2019. 95,000 miles so far.. other than repairs from a recent deer hit.. I have only done oil changes and a set of tires. I drive rather fast.. Maybe that is what makes them run so well..

tacoduck

Reaction score
I have a 2016 expo and had a 2017 expo. My 3rd gen has been reliable, but those gen 4 first year are having lots of problems. This is really hard, when you have a family of six and it’s their primary transportation. If I was in your shoes, I would look hard at a sienna Toyota minivan.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is not a new vehicle made now that I would own without an extended warranty. Friend has new Challenger Hellcat Redeye that has been sitting for a replacement chip since Thanksgiving. The supply chain issues continuing on make the extended warranty an even more needed purchase just for the rental coverage most plans include.