First time using the '18 on a boat ramp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP Dye

Reaction score
I see that people post about towing. I am interested in results on a boat ramp. I'm only towing a 22' boat but the automatic e-brake and the weird throttle response make me tentative the first time.

Thanks for any input.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No issues here. I have backed my boat into the water 10 plus times last summer and a couple of times so far this summer. I don't ever remember the automatic e-brake engaging. Simple back up with trailer assist and in the water she goes. Then pulling out, just apply gas at your leisure.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just remember - if the vehicle applies the parking brake for you, it will also released it for you. It won't impact you, just protect your vehicle.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try it on a hill in a field or a parking lot if you need to get the feel for it.

I'm not a computer guy, I drive it myself....

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With a boat I always pop open the drivers door and lean out to look-see where its at. I'd be concerned about the love/hate rotary knob transmission deciding to place itself into Park.

Somewhat related - do you guys unplug the trailer wiring before entering the water? Although we now have cool running, well-sealed LED trailer lights, I guess I've popped too many fuses and hot incandescent bulbs with leaky housings.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With a boat I always pop open the drivers door and lean out to look-see where its at. I'd be concerned about the love/hate rotary knob transmission deciding to place itself into Park.

Somewhat related - do you guys unplug the trailer wiring before entering the water? Although we now have cool running, well-sealed LED trailer lights, I guess I've popped too many fuses and hot incandescent bulbs with leaky housings.

I still usually disconnect mine and use the manual reverse lockout on my trailer. That said, I have launched (last weekend) in salt water with the lights connected and nothing failed at that point, so I think it's good to go.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have a newer expedition. But it could be your trailer surge brakes. They come on when you back up especially when back up a grade. It takes a little gas to release them when going forward. Maybe the trailer brakes need an adjustment?? If you don't have confidence in the ebrake.. just chock a wheel,. Better safe than having your rig roll down the ramp. Stay between the bouys

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My chap 220 is around 5800# rig weight. The expedition pulls it without difficulty. Looking to upgrade next year to a 24-25’ class.

Only vehicles I’ve had issues with was a 2015 Nissan Armada that got dragged down the ramp about a foot when I applied brakes and my old 2016 YUKON Denali 2WD that spun tires and couldn’t pull me up the ramp. Had a bunch of folks in the boat and we got caught in a storm and it was pouring down. I just moved everyone to the bow to shift weight and was finally able to get her up.

So much nicer having the 4WD and not having to worry.

woody929

Reaction score
I pull a 23’ 5,300lb boat no problem with the 18 Expy. When I drop it in and pull it out of the water, it is probably closer to 6,000lbs loaded. I’ve never once had an issue at the ramp.

Not that I’ve had an issue sliding down the ramp, but if I did, I could drop the expy into neutral and the trailer brakes would engage.