Flashing check engine light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always just swap the CoP with another cylinder to test. If the misfire moves to the other cylinder that's it! My brother is a die-hard Ford guy. He's done a couple of these. He says that once the CoPs start going you'll end up replacing all within a year... so he recommends just going ahead and replacing all -- of course depending on mileage and if they have been replaced before. I'm glad my 2003 Tundra (4.7L) isn't like that! I had one go out and bought two, just to be safe, and it was another year (at 25K a year -- work truck!) before I used the second! Just bought another, so only three have been replaced over the last two years (I've had the truck for six -- bought with 109K on it, 230K now!). The CoPs were all original, none had been replaced before. I replaced the plugs shortly after I got it, they were original then (about 110-115K). You can actually get to all the plugs and CoPs on the 2000-2006 Tundra!! Don't know about the newer models, but you can't on that Expy!!
He is incorrect. I have had a huge number of fords with COPs.
Many times I'll 8 or 10 are original or sometimes I will buy a car and one or two have been replaced with aftermarket. I bought a 98 Lincoln Town Car with 147000 miles on it in July of 2012 . I put a new set of Autolite single Platinum plugs in it when I bought it and about a year or so later one of the coils started misfiring.
I replaced that one with a good used one I had and now it has 231,000 miles on it and not one has been replaced.
Still have a 2000 Expedition that had two start misfiring within a year of each other but the other six are still in there.

You could estimate or guesstimate that if you had a vehicle with original coils that had 240 plus thousand miles on it and one went bad but it would be more likely for the others to follow but that still not necessarily the case. If you're only down around 125k-150k ,there could be a long time of life left in those coils.

OP
OP
T

TexEx

Reaction score
Mine did this after plugs, cops, and cam position sensors. I unplugged the VCT solenoids and the misfire stopped. Replaced the solenoids with Fomoco ones and now it runs beautifully.
That bad plug I had bought was definitely the culprit but auto zone gladly swapped out for a new one & said it wasn't the first time that motorcraft had sent them non functioning plugs..
I also put in new VCT's which made a huge difference, not sure what Fomoco parts are but i put in motorcraft because of the redesign,, engine is running very smooth, the best it has since me owning. Here is a photo of the new & old vct's.5e4c39cb972e1e4a7ac0369f8147e50e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Skip_Brackett

Reaction score
Fomoco is old ford motor co. Mine were motor craft as well. These are the old ones. One was oem and one was China. 5f4fa8c390107dbd75eae9d57dcc50a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk