Flushing brake fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robdgagne

Reaction score
Hello all.

I want to flush the brake fluid in my 2018 Platinum.
I am really interested in the pressure bleeder kits I have seen on line since this would be a one man job.
Have any of you done this procedure with a pressure tank connected to the brake fluid reservoir?
I have found several kits on Amazon but want to get the correct adapter.
I have reached out to several of the vendors with little luck.
Thanks in advance.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all.

I want to flush the brake fluid in my 2018 Platinum.
I am really interested in the pressure bleeder kits I have seen on line since this would be a one man job.
Have any of you done this procedure with a pressure tank connected to the brake fluid reservoir?
I have found several kits on Amazon but want to get the correct adapter.
I have reached out to several of the vendors with little luck.
Thanks in advance.

To flush and change the brake fluid, you must have the proper computer to cycle the ABS brake module shuttle valves. Just a pressure bleeder will not fully bleed the system and remove all air.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The shop manual (last accessed in 2020) specifies using a pressure bleeder. No mention of other special tools/procedures.

Note the following:
1- using the pressure bleeder apply 207-345 kPa (30-50 psi) to the brake system.
2- start with rear passenger wheel, rear driver, front passenger, then front driver.
3- the manual wants you to apply and release the electronic parking brake 5 times before opening the bleeder on each rear wheel.

khammer

Reaction score
I have done this drain and fill on my 2015 F150 with Thorstone Pneumatic brake fluid bleeder kit from amazon. I thought it worked well.

When we purchased our 2018 expedition last year, I had the dealer perform this before we picked it up so I cannot vouch for procedure on the expedition. I would trust Soliyou's notes from the manual.

OP
OP
R

robdgagne

Reaction score
@khammer
I looked at the kit you mentioned in you post but the ones I find appear to be the "vacuum" type. Do they make a pressure unit?
Thanks

CFKiller

Reaction score
how do you cycle the ABS pump? I had a hole in my front driver side brake line. I had to replace the line from the caliper to the pump. I did the old school method of having someone pump the brakes and then hold while i release the air. That didnt solve my problem of the ABS being mad, hill decent control mad, and says to check brake system. I went and bought a vacuum pump and put grease around the bleeder screws and got all the air out that it could get with the pump, but now it seems i need to cycle the ABS pump. I really dont want to have to take it to the dealer just to cycle it unless i need to.

2015 ford Expedition 4x4 eco boost EL with 160K

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No idea if this works but I have heard go find a gravel road and start slamming the brakes to get the abs to kick in. I know that was the old school method used on jeeps but not sure if it works on the newer abs stuff.

I am really starting to think I need to buy a scanner that can do this sort of thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani