Ford exiting the sedan business

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well then get serious on the trucks and give us some big motors back!!!!

The Cafe standards will have to go before that happens.

As for Ford dumping the sedan. Why sell what people aren’t buying?

Though Lincoln is still keeping their sedans.

Wonder if Ford is going towards the GMC/Chevy idea of branding.

I also bet all of these crossovers or whatever they want to call them will have designs that can quickly be made back to sedans if the sales trends change.

OP
OP
Dorzak

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also bet all of these crossovers or whatever they want to call them will have designs that can quickly be made back to sedans if the sales trends change.

If I recall correctly the Ecosport is on the same platform as the Fiesta, the C-Max uses the Focus platform, and the list goes on.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As for Ford dumping the sedan. Why sell what people aren’t buying?

Huh?

2017 model year sales figures, US and Canada only. 48,077 Fiesta sold. 51,999 Taurus sold. 219,359 Fusion sold. Thats 319,435 units that "people aren't buying". Lets say profit margins are sooooo slim that Ford can only manage to squeeze out an unimaginable single Benjamin Franklin profit per car. Thats $32M in profit per year gone bye bye. You can bet Hyundai, Toyota, and Nissan are shaking their heads and laughing at this move.

If you want to see what people aren't buying, look at Expedition sales numbers.

Jim Hackett might have done a good job with office furniture 20 years ago, I'm not sure that somehow translates into being best suited for automotive manufacturing. Especially with decisions being made like this. He's truly earning the nickname Hack.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Huh?

2017 model year sales figures, US and Canada only. 48,077 Fiesta sold. 51,999 Taurus sold. 219,359 Fusion sold. Thats 319,435 units that "people aren't buying". Lets say profit margins are sooooo slim that Ford can only manage to squeeze out an unimaginable single Benjamin Franklin profit per car. Thats $32M in profit per year gone bye bye. You can bet Hyundai, Toyota, and Nissan are shaking their heads and laughing at this move.

If you want to see what people aren't buying, look at Expedition sales numbers.

Jim Hackett might have done a good job with office furniture 20 years ago, I'm not sure that somehow translates into being best suited for automotive manufacturing. Especially with decisions being made like this. He's truly earning the nickname Hack.

Looking at a single model year will do absolutely nothing for you when planning a sales future.

The sedan market is in a serious decline and nothing is showing any indication that the decline will change anytime soon. So they are tooling for that continued decline.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/midsize-sedan-sales-toyota-camry-leads-in-a-declining-segment/

As I stated in my previous post I can promise you all of these new crossovers or whatever they decide to call these new vehicles, will quickly be able to adapt into a sedan if the sales trends were change.

Plati

Reaction score
Meanwhile .... Tesla ONLY makes sedans?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, nobody is buying sedans...... until nobody drives them and everyone wants to be different and drive a sedan.