Ford issued SSM (Special Service Message #47515) - transmission whine on brand new Expeditions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skylar71

Reaction score
Help!
We are looking at buying a new 2018 Expedition FX4 but are hesitant due to a whine that is coming from the transmission area. When we inquired about this unique sound the service manager found a Ford issued SSM regarding this noise with no solutions, see attached (Special Service Message #47515). The Ford issued SSM states it has no effect on durability. Whats strange is some Expeditions do not make this noise. Obviously we can walk away but we wanted to see what other Ford Expedition owners have to say, their experience and if anything was done. Thanks! Vehicle Info (v6 Twin turbo, 10 speed tranny 10R80)

*No recalls but surprised Ford has not addressed this issue.

IMG_0264.jpg

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn’t walk away - I’d run.....

There has been a lot of problems with the 2018 Expedtions - including numerous safety recalls. Not a good sign.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 10R80 has a TSB out for clunky and or hard shift engagement concerns on 2.7L/3.5L/5.0L equipped vehicles. Mention it to the dealer and if it falls in the date range have it performed. There really isn’t a solution for the whine though. I’d walk away.

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn’t walk away - I’d run.....

There has been a lot of problems with the 2018 Expedtions - including numerous safety recalls. Not a good sign.

I may be wrong, but I don't recall there being ANY recalls on the 2018 Expedition/Navigator.
A handful or so of Technical Service Bulletins, yes. TSB is not a recall.
ALL manufacturers have them at some point year in and out, maybe not on every model, and maybe not every single year, (but every year auto manufacturers have them, Ford is a large scale manufacturer, law of averages aren't in it's favor) in truth, but they are not wholly monopolized by FoMoCo.

Keep the required fluid in it, don't worry about it, it's warrantied for what 5years? 6?

I've held the opinion, for a long time, if I don't have any significant problems from any of the vehicles I've bought new, by 2500 miles, I have a good unit. I maintain my own, but I'm also not entirely gentle on any of them either.
2012 Ford Focus Titanium, is the last car I bought a new Ford, and swore I never would again, it was replaced by a Honda within 3 months. Dual clutch crap.

The tranny's basic architecture is from Zf licensed to Ford, though Ford holds patents on their use and intricacies in Ford vehicles as Chevy does with the fwd 9speed also a Zf design. The two of them share the knowledge for the respective units, as Ford will be, if not already using the 9speed in fwd vehicles, as Chevy will eventually use the 10spd in rwd vehicles.

I think possibly some of this whine has to do with the Target/Normal operating temp of the fluid in the 10speed is something like 210°F.
When the tranny is cold (fluid) this could be a bit of a problem for some, that are asking too much from a machine and it's individual components, before they have come up to proper operating temperature.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don't recall there being ANY recalls on the 2018 Expedition/Navigator.
A handful or so of Technical Service Bulletins, yes. TSB is not a recall.
ALL manufacturers have them at some point year in and out, maybe not on every model, and maybe not every single year, (but every year auto manufacturers have them, Ford is a large scale manufacturer, law of averages aren't in it's favor) in truth, but they are not wholly monopolized by FoMoCo.

Keep the required fluid in it, don't worry about it, it's warrantied for what 5years? 6?

I've held the opinion, for a long time, if I don't have any significant problems from any of the vehicles I've bought new, by 2500 miles, I have a good unit. I maintain my own, but I'm also not entirely gentle on any of them either.
2012 Ford Focus Titanium, is the last car I bought a new Ford, and swore I never would again, it was replaced by a Honda within 3 months. Dual clutch crap.

The tranny's basic architecture is from Zf licensed to Ford, though Ford holds patents on their use and intricacies in Ford vehicles as Chevy does with the fwd 9speed also a Zf design. The two of them share the knowledge for the respective units, as Ford will be, if not already using the 9speed in fwd vehicles, as Chevy will eventually use the 10spd in rwd vehicles.

I think possibly some of this whine has to do with the Target/Normal operating temp of the fluid in the 10speed is something like 210°F.
When the tranny is cold (fluid) this could be a bit of a problem for some, that are asking too much from a machine and it's individual components, before they have come up to proper operating temperature.

Ford has issued (so far.....) five safety recalls for the 2018 Expedition, although not every vehicle manufactured is subject to all five recalls.

Poor quality.

Now, Ford is stating that transmission whine is normal in SOME 2018 Expedtions. If it is normal, why isn’t the noise present in all 2018 Expedtions?

I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 - no recalls for that model year, even three model years later.

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well so far as 2018 model year is concerned, other than the one recall affecting f-150 and Expedition that was widely reported in the news regarding roll away while in park, this is the only actual recall I could find, and it's a good one!!!

Recall Number
18V392000
Recall Date
06/12/2018
Component
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
Summary
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2018 Ford Expedition, F-150, and Lincoln Navigator vehicles equipped with 3.5L GTDI V6 engines. These vehicles have high pressure fuel pump assemblies with welds that can fracture, which may cause an oil or fuel leak.

Consequence
A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may increase the risk of a fire.

What Owners Should Do
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the high pressure fuel pump and associated components, free of charge. The recall began July 17, 2018. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 18S17.

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's #3
Recall Number
18V058000
Recall Date
01/16/2018
Component
VISIBILITY OWNER WINDOW DEVICES AND CONTROLS
Summary
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2018 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator vehicles. The second row window control modules may intermittently stop the movement of the power window. If something, such as a finger, is pinched by the window glass, the stopped window control module may prevent the window from automatically reversing. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 118, "Power-Operated Window Systems."

Consequence
If the window does not automatically reverse when an obstruction is found, it can increase the risk of injury.

What Owners Should Do
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the second row window electronic control modules, and replace them as necessary based on their build date codes, free of charge. The recall began on February 16, 2018. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 18C01.

Last edited:

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tranny in park roll away....

Recall Number
18V213000
Recall Date
04/04/2018
Component
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Summary
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2017-2018 Ford F-150 and 2018 Ford Expedition and Mustang and Lincoln Navigator vehicles equipped with 10-speed automatic transmissions. A roll pin may not have been installed in the transmission, potentially causing a loss of the "Park" function.

Consequence
Despite the transmission shift lever being placed in 'Park' and the instrument panel display indicating 'Park,' the vehicle may roll away after it has been exited if the parking brake has not been applied, increasing the risk of injury or a crash.

What Owners Should Do
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the transmission to make sure it has the roll pin, installing one if it is missing, free of charge. The recall began on April 13, 2018. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 18S09.

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is a total of three.
One, regarding the windows imo is a bit trivial.
The other two, not so much, could be quite dangerous.

However, setting your parking brake, religiously - makes one almost moot.

The other I am given pause, leaking fuel, as someone else mentioned in another thread, could mean total loss.

It would seem the five recalls mentioned may be confused with TSB which are not recalls.