Ford "The works" package and Ford Service Pricing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It may be just the local dealer but there is nothing like getting a 10% off service coupon via email that allows you to setup an appointment for service with the coupon attached. It's a great idea.

Well I show up to my appointment yesterday for the works (oil/filter/tire rotation, fluids..). I ask the service advisor if he sees the coupon? He says no. I ask why not as the appointment was made online via the link in the 10% coupon. He just shrugs his shoulders and I have to prove it to him.

Ok I get that the systems may not be interlinked.

An hour in I get paged to come to the service desk. Upon arrival I'm informed I'll need the rear brakes replaced. I'm thinking my Expy only has 60,000 miles on it with a great deal of highway miles. I tow a trailer that has it's own brakes and I only tow a few times a year so this seems early. Also why are the rear requiring replacement while the front are fine. Anyway I ask the price. $450!!!!! I confirm for just the rear brakes right? Yep for pad and rotors. Rotors too? WTF. He says they are "scarred bad" and have to be replaced. Mind you there has been zero indication of a brake issue. He says there is still 3mm left so no metal on metal but they need to be done soon. I decline.

Another 1/2hr goes by and he comes to me with my bill. It's $50 before taxes. The previous 4 services were $46 and change as the final price with taxes. I ask did you apply the 10% off? He said he did. I asked him to pull up my service history and explain why with the coupon applied it's more than previously. He stared at the screen and typed for a few minutes and says "oh your last service was in march, we and all the ford dealers have raised the price $10. I'm thinking that is a 25% increase and now puts them inline with getting full synthetic service with a coupon elsewhere.

I paid it but am not going back. Ford dealers wonder why people don't use them.

I'm in an apartment in NY while my tools/ramps/jack are in storage in Virginia. I'd do it myself but I'm not supposed to work on the vehicle in the complex parking lot and winter will be here soon. So I'll shop the brake job and oil changes.

Anyone else see why it's over $400 for a rear pads and rotor or just Ford service department greed?

Lastly and just picky on my part. They very best Dealership service departments I've used would wash and vacuum your car after each service. I haven't seen that in NY.

Last edited:

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed the same few dollar price increase on my last works oil change as well. I think they accomplish it with increased shop fees as the price of the package hasn't changed. I like to stay local but may go a town over for my next Ford dealer oil change. They always ask if I want them to run the truck through a car wash when I drop it off but neglect to say it will add 10 or 12 dollars to the service. No thanks, I can run it through an automated car wash for the same price and get the added bonus of doing a somewhat decent job of vacuuming it out afterwards.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone walking into a dealership for "service" is just asking to be ripped off.

In a similar situation, I'd find a small garage that will do it for half the price and you can usually bring your own (better quality than dealer) synthetic oil for them to change in your car/truck.

As for not working on cars in apartment complex parking lots... I think they all say that all over the world. Most tenants just ignore it for small stuff that takes 10 minutes, like oil changes. Just don't leave a mess behind, lol!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately these days with the lawsuits it’s a slippery slope. I generally won’t bother tenants if they are just changing oil or doing small repairs in our parking lots. I don’t like jacks getting involved because I don’t want the company accepting liability if it falls. They could blame it in the parking lot not being perfectly even. In the lease it is stated no work is permitted in the lots to help protect from this somewhat.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone walking into a dealership for "service" is just asking to be ripped off.
!

Not always the case.
I have a lifetime power train warranty. 5k mile oil changes and scheduled maintenance must be done by an ASE certified shop to keep the warranty valid or I would do it all myself.

The works is $39.99 here for 5 quarts so I am right at $50 after tax. I always tell them up front I will need nothing else done.
Have yet to find an independent shop cheaper. On just the works.
For the scheduled maintenance stuff I use an independent shop as it is cheaper than the dealer.

Motorcraft synthetic blend is some of the best oil out there. I use it in all my vehicles minus the Toyota’s as the require full synthetic and I have never seen Motorcraft full synthetic 0w20.
Have been for 20 years now.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem most Customers have is that the Service Department of a Dealership is a "stand-alone entity" meaning that the Service dept must be self-sustaining. This along with profit incentives to managers on down, provides a rich environment for fraud, especially for the uneducated customer.

As most older guys have seen in their lives, most dealers rip people off as the result........

just fact.

jeff

OP
OP
C

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how a rear brake job is over $400. I know folks pay over $70k for these new but jeez. That is a crazy asking price.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Considering rear rotors are $78 each and the pads are $75 on Ford parts Giant which is always cheaper than the dealer straight up add 10-15% for parts.

You are looking north of $250 for parts

I bet it is billed as a 2 hour job you are looking at $75+ an hour in NY.

There you go.

Whole lot cheaper to buy parts yourself and have the rotors turned. If they have never been turned unless you have an under lying issue there will be plenty of material to have them turned.
And not paying labor and “shop fees”

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not always the case.
I have a lifetime power train warranty. 5k mile oil changes and scheduled maintenance must be done by an ASE certified shop to keep the warranty valid or I would do it all myself.

Ok... you must explain. What kind of a Ford Expedition comes with a lifetime powertrain warranty? Inquisitive minds want to know. This sounds like the one and only vehicle a person would buy and keep 50+ years then pass it down to their kids, lol...

Or is it a third party warranty, the kind that you pay for every month?

Motorcraft synthetic blend is some of the best oil out there. I use it in all my vehicles minus the Toyota’s as the require full synthetic and I have never seen Motorcraft full synthetic 0w20.

Dollars to donuts says Ford doesn't make their own oil. No one does except the big petroleum companies. Their synthetic blend is made by Shell, Chevron or some company like it, relabeled and sold with the Motorcraft logo on it... for $20 more per gallon.

As long as oil meets the required specifications, it is deemed "good" oil. Top tier synthetic oils beat top tier synthetic blends any day of the week and twice on Sunday. This is just the way it is.

Some people also swear by the Motorcraft "recommended" OEM oil filters, whereas in reality those filters are pretty low end, filtration-wise. They are literally as poor in performance as the lowest end Fram filters.

Last edited: