FORSCAN on Linux

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmc3

Reaction score
Forscan appears to be working under linux-wine now. I haven't checked all the functions, but everything I've looked at appears to work just as it did under windows.
FORSCAN version: 2.3.50
Fedora 37, XFCE, x86
Wine version 8
Adapter OBDLinkEX
The windows device driver is NOT required.
Use root to add yourself to the "dialout" group.
Tested on my 2017 Expedition XLT

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Yupster Dog Can you move this to FORSCAN.

So, as a geek I appreciate it. I do not recommend this unless it is fully supported by FORSCAN. Just cause it works on the surface, doesn't mean it should be used. This is the same as using it in a VM on Mac. You are adding a conversion layer. Not supported, and adds another level where there could be a problem. Obviously you know what you are doing and dealing with, and are comfortable with Linux.

Run a special flavor of Fedora?

OP
OP
cmc3

cmc3

Reaction score
I've used Linux for everything for a long time. I have one remaining Windows 11 laptop which I seldom use.
You are correct about WINE being a extra (probably slightly buggy) layer. It has been under development for a long time. But doesn't work for everything. To date I have found no FORSCAN functions that do not work under WINE just like the did under windows.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've used Linux for everything for a long time. I have one remaining Windows 11 laptop which I seldom use.
You are correct about WINE being a extra (probably slightly buggy) layer. It has been under development for a long time. But doesn't work for everything. To date I have found no FORSCAN functions that do not work under WINE just like the did under windows.
Cool!

While, yeah, like I said above, probably will work. When it doesn't, will it be a critical point?