Foul smell when starting 2017 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcars

Reaction score
Inside or outside? Ventilation system on or off (heat or AC won't matter at start)?

I'm guessing a moldy evaporator. Virtually every AC evaporator will produce that smell over time, and in cars its usually around late summer/early fall when people notice it the most. Sometimes the cure is as simple as letting the engine warm up and then blasting the heater at full for 10-15 minutes to kill the mold/mildew on the coils.

My first Expedition, a 2015 with 90K on it, starting putting a nasty smell out of the vents a few weeks ago. Dealer tried telling me the smell was from the evaporator core leaking refrigerant. They’d be glad to rip out the dash and replace the evaporator core. They evacuated all the refrigerant and the smell is still there so I’m not buying that it is refrigerant. I tried running the heat on high for hours. That seemed to dissipate it, but it keeps coming back. The smell is foul and sickening – I can buy into the idea that it is some sort of mold/mildew. But then again, I ran Town Cars and Crown Victorias for years and never had any smell coming from the vents. Any thoughts what to do about it?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ozone generators work pretty well and there are quite a few cheap ones on amazon. Leave HVAC on recirculation for a bit to get it all through the system. An hour or two makes quite a difference. I've used them successfully along w deep cleaning interior to virtually eliminate smoke odors from vehicles which is one of the harder things to eliminate.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My first Expedition, a 2015 with 90K on it, starting putting a nasty smell out of the vents a few weeks ago. Dealer tried telling me the smell was from the evaporator core leaking refrigerant. They’d be glad to rip out the dash and replace the evaporator core. They evacuated all the refrigerant and the smell is still there so I’m not buying that it is refrigerant. I tried running the heat on high for hours. That seemed to dissipate it, but it keeps coming back. The smell is foul and sickening – I can buy into the idea that it is some sort of mold/mildew. But then again, I ran Town Cars and Crown Victorias for years and never had any smell coming from the vents. Any thoughts what to do about it?
There are several products made to disinfect AC vent systems in cars. Most involve spraying a thick, foaming substance into the dash vents and letting it soak for a time. I've never done that so I can't recommend any specific brand.

As a last resort, take a drive to Death Valley and let is sit out there for a week. That'll kill just about everything in the car. Since you're from PA, I would say you don't get a lot of super-hot days to keep the mold at bay like a car in GA or FL does.

I would turn off the AC compressor (to stop the condensation from occurring), make sure the "Recirc" mode is off, windows cracked open a bit (all the time) and keep the fan on whenever you're driving. The idea is to dry out the mold. Hope you're not allergic to it.

Not sure where your blower is, but if its in the engine bay, you can pull it off and expose the evaporator coils (they should be right there). Douche it liberally with Tilex bathroom cleaner. The car will smell like hell for a few days but I've found nothing better than Tilex to kill mold and mildew (except fire).

Worst case: It never gets better and you end up selling the car.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ozone generators work pretty well and there are quite a few cheap ones on amazon. Leave HVAC on recirculation for a bit to get it all through the system. An hour or two makes quite a difference. I've used them successfully along w deep cleaning interior to virtually eliminate smoke odors from vehicles which is one of the harder things to eliminate.
Ozone generators ionize airborne particulates and cause them to drop to the floor. Thats how they eliminate odors. They do nothing to the mold farms in the AC system.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kool-It cleans the AC evaporator / heater core by you running its tube into the condensation drain on the firewall. (not down via the vents into the fan motor)

On the Expedition the tube is inserted down low on the passenger side of the firewall, right about where it starts to curve upward to form the transmission tunnel. I have not needed to use Kool-It on my Expedition but have on other vehicles and it does work and leaves a pleasant smell.

At $16 a can and the extra effort required, I'd certainly try a $3 can of Lysol first.

81edrU6TwPL._SY606_.jpg

Amazon is $16, my local O'Reillys was almost double.

https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-960...NC55JPPRV3P&psc=1&refRID=KHX6H9RNJNC55JPPRV3P

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
There are several products made to disinfect AC vent systems in cars. Most involve spraying a thick, foaming substance into the dash vents and letting it soak for a time. I've never done that so I can't recommend any specific brand.

As a last resort, take a drive to Death Valley and let is sit out there for a week. That'll kill just about everything in the car. Since you're from PA, I would say you don't get a lot of super-hot days to keep the mold at bay like a car in GA or FL does.

I would turn off the AC compressor (to stop the condensation from occurring), make sure the "Recirc" mode is off, windows cracked open a bit (all the time) and keep the fan on whenever you're driving. The idea is to dry out the mold. Hope you're not allergic to it.

Not sure where your blower is, but if its in the engine bay, you can pull it off and expose the evaporator coils (they should be right there). Douche it liberally with Tilex bathroom cleaner. The car will smell like hell for a few days but I've found nothing better than Tilex to kill mold and mildew (except fire).

Worst case: It never gets better and you end up selling the car.
Don't do this. It is too harsh. Spray Lysol were the cabin filter sits. It will get sucked into the system with the fan on high. Its the cheapest and easiest, I have found.

Last edited:

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ozone generators ionize airborne particulates and cause them to drop to the floor. Thats how they eliminate odors. They do nothing to the mold farms in the AC system.

Uh. No that’s not all they do. I use one. A commercial grade unit. You cannot be in the same space that it is running in until the unit is shut off and the ozone has dissipated. Ozone absolutely destroys mold and will fix the problem. Ozone generators are used to purify the bloodstained carpet of crime scenes and remove carpet odors. Theres way more going on than just dropping odors out of the air.

OP, seriously, if you can’t rid of the odor, try a commercial grade ozone generator. Not one of those alpine garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott Carden

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If and I say if you actually have a cabin filter. Take it out and turn on the air or heat and spray Lysol into the air intake below the windshield. Inspect the filter and replace as needed if you have one. My 2014 KR has no filter.

bigcars

Reaction score
Uh. No that’s not all they do. I use one. A commercial grade unit. You cannot be in the same space that it is running in until the unit is shut off and the ozone has dissipated. Ozone absolutely destroys mold and will fix the problem. Ozone generators are used to purify the bloodstained carpet of crime scenes and remove carpet odors. Theres way more going on than just dropping odors out of the air.

OP, seriously, if you can’t rid of the odor, try a commercial grade ozone generator. Not one of those alpine garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Any recommendation on an ozone generator brand or performance criteria for selecting one? It looks like output is measured in mg/h. And how about the procedure to use it? Would you run the unit in an unoccupied vehicle with the vehicle's AC running and on recirculate mode? Am I thinking right?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The go-to for me for eliminating odors is Pet Odor Neutralizer & Fa-breeze ....spray the filter in your home or auto with the Pet spray first, then the fa-breeze, re-insert, turn on fan....let run 15 minutes then off for 2 hours..

Odors gone................works even for a heavily "partied" car once the inside has been cleaned.