Front Diff bearing issues..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Jeff

Reaction score
So. First post and its a problem post for my 05 Expy. :waytogo:

Particulars... 05 Expo. 4x4, air suspension, 104K and change. Everything is still OEM except the sway bar links.

So I have been hearing a clunk in the drivers side front. Bumps, turning, heck even when I hop in to drive it. I just recently went and replaced the front sway bar links. So I hopped under there today to give it a good once over.

Sway Bar Bushings and links are still good. Upper control arms, tie rod end, lower ball joint. Air Bag suspension. All look good. No real play to speak of.

CV Axle boots look fine but I wiggled my hand in there and decided to see if there was any play. Grabbed the axle and could hear and feel play. Making a similar sound to what I had been hearing. Closer inspection revealed that where the CV axle bolts to the front diff has play and I can hear a clunk when I moved the axle up and down. So the cv axle AND where it bolts to the diff have a fair amount of play and you can hear it clunk. Sooo I am guessing its the differential carrier bearing???

Has anyone come across something like this before??? I've got 104K and change on it, outside of the sway bar links, all the wearables are still OEM in the front. I am thinking that it would be pretty weird that the carrier bearing would go before those..

Thanks!
-Jeff

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Well, unless the truck is in 4wd or AWD that half shaft isn't turning when the truck is moving. So it's doubtful that the bearing would have worn out.

More often than not, it's the hubs and/or IWEs that go bad and make noise.
I would also check all the suspension links and bushings. With 104k on the clock, all that stuff is fair game for replacement.

OP
OP
B

Big Jeff

Reaction score
Makes sense. I guess I am at the point of replacing things until the noise goes away.

I'll probably start by rechecking the newly replaced sway bar links. then go on to sway bar bushings. Upper control arm and lower ball joint and see where I sit after that. I just hate throwing parts at something without really knowing..

-Jeff

OP
OP
B

Big Jeff

Reaction score
Yeah actually thats the first thing I am going to do tomorrow. Even though I replaced both sway bar links a few months back.... They are still suspect along with anything on the sway bar. Mounts and bushings.

-Jeff

OP
OP
B

Big Jeff

Reaction score
Update: Trying to get this done in between work and rain.

Previously replaced sway bar link is still ok. Tie rod end is still ok.
CV axle inner was definitely bad. Cored out and replaced. Upper and lower ball joints worn. I bought the moog upper control arm and ball joint and the moog lower ball joint.

My upper control arm should be in tomorrow. So that is reassembly day. Basically all new suspension components.

I am half tempted to do the other side just because... If these are worn, my guess so are the others. Maybe not the cv axle but the upper and lower ball joints for sure.

-Jeff