Front Differential Making Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

fvernet

Reaction score
Look I don't know much but I also would verify front brake not dragging. One way to do that is measure the rotor temperatures (left vs right) with a handheld non contact infrared thermometer. I recently associated a rubbing noise with a bad caliper using that method. One rotor was hotter than the other. BTW the noise was at lower speeds only and I could associate that with braking and it also didn't roll quite right.

I had a brake job done all around yesterday - new rotors and pads on all 4 corners. Turns out the front left rotor was warped - that MAY have been the source of the noise. I'll listen for it and report back.

Plati

Reaction score
I think its still possible the caliper is dragging, that ruined the pad/rotor system so new parts is a bandaid (temp "fix") masking the root cause. Onion skin as the diagnosticians say. Time will tell. An infrared thermometer would uncover that. Cheap tool, many uses, lasts a long time ... great for brake diagnosis. Pistons in calipers not metal these days, get skeewacky & bind. Pay me now or pay me later. Could be wrong. Food for thought.

https://www.harborfreight.com/121-infrared-laser-thermometer-63985.html

Also good for measuring smoker temp and setting bath water etc. Lol

OP
OP
F

fvernet

Reaction score
So...the rubbing sound is still there, most noticeable at highway speed. I'll have my mechanic look at the brake caliper as the possible culprit. Thanks for the tip.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Lots of good advice here. Look at EVERYTHING else before you open up that differential. Just about anything is more likely to be the problem.

OP
OP
F

fvernet

Reaction score
Lots of good advice here. Look at EVERYTHING else before you open up that differential. Just about anything is more likely to be the problem.

I agree - it may be as simple as changing the diff fluid. I'm NOT convinced the diff is bad...heck...I drive in 2H 99.99% of the time. 4H has been turned on a few times in heavy snow for a few minutes. Period. So it cannot be worn out.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also have a look at the vacuum check valve those have been known to have a problem with certain model years. Causes the front locking hubs to either partially or fully engage even when in 2H