front end issues.....2H to A4WD....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phoenix101703

Reaction score
So this is the 2nd time ive posted on this but i thought i would give it another shot.
So, 99% of the time, I drive around in 2WD. However, outta nowhere and with no ryhme or reason I'll start to get a "clunking" noise coming from the driver side front wheel "area". The sound is best described as exactly what it sounds like when you get a rock stuck in your brake caliper and it just rattles LOUDLY. When this happens I found a quick (although Im not real sure its good) solution to rid my truck of the noise. That is to switch the 4WD selector into A4WD...and within 2 seconds the noise is gone; and doesn't return EVER. That is, until I throw it back into 2H. And, low and behold within the next 50 miles or so, the rattling will return.....again, LOUDLY.

Any ideas on what this might be?

ks73

Reaction score
i have the same issue!! i think it has something to do with teh vacum locking mechanisim for the front hubs!! but I get it above 90kmph speed and under load conditions e.g.. accelerating

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am currently experiencing the opposite..

When in 2H, no noise.. When selector is put on 4AWD, noise is intense around 30mph.. If you put in 4H/4L, no noise...

Noise only happens in 4AWD....

I'm planning on getting new hub actuators to see if this takes care of it... Already changed the IEW Solenoid without success...

Blwnl36

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just posted. SOunds like the issue im having. In 2H it will do it. If i switch to 4AWD it stops. Any ideas?

OP
OP
phoenix101703

phoenix101703

Reaction score
If you find anything out please reply on this thread.....if you remember. Thanks and sorry that ur having the same issue. But, in a way it makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one...

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you find anything out please reply on this thread.....if you remember. Thanks and sorry that ur having the same issue. But, in a way it makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one...

I changed my IWE and front hub actuator. Problem solved...

Blwnl36

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Called ford today and got it. Gonna change it when i get home! Hopefully this works..........

Changed it yesterday. Drove it for about 2 miles and no noise! Only time will tell.........Ill keep you guys updated! Thanks again!