Fuel Gauge Always on Empty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxOutlaw

Reaction score
Hey folks... 2009 Expy with fuel gauge not working any longer. Looking at the fuses before I order a pump/sending unit... Any other fuses to check in the cab or under the hood? I have checked 26 and 29 in the cab and 5, 44, 55, 61 under the hood.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Plati

Reaction score
How long has it been like that? My 2003 was sticking for a short time once. I just rode it out for a few tanks and it resolved itself on its own. I just used the trip odometer to make sure I didn't run out.

any codes?

OP
OP
T

TxOutlaw

Reaction score
Its been a while.... Months probably. I have ran seafoam through the tank hoping to unstick the float... Wife's car and surprisingly she hasn't ran out yet... She just fills up every 300miles or so. LOL

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rather than just checking fuses, measure across each terminal for 12 volts. I'd also change each fuse, especially the higher amp ones. It's more than likely the sending unit, but you might get lucky. I know it's going to be tough, but get the wife to fill up every 200-225 miles until you get it fixed. You don't need the drama at home after her waiting 1-3 hours for a tow truck to bring her fuel.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TxOutlaw

Reaction score
Oh she's already amazed me, she hasn't ran out yet! HAHAHA. We moved really close to her work so she puts 10miles a day on it now a days... Which is good as I have a laundry list of fixes for both of these 200K+ mileage fords!!! LOL

Ill check the voltage just in case, do you mean behind the panel?

Plati

Reaction score
Oh she's already amazed me, she hasn't ran out yet! HAHAHA. We moved really close to her work so she puts 10miles a day on it now a days... Which is good as I have a laundry list of fixes for both of these 200K+ mileage fords!!! LOL

Ill check the voltage just in case, do you mean behind the panel?
I think he means … measure the voltage across the fuse instead of looking at the fuse with your eyes. If its good it will be a dead short with same voltage on either side. Fuse can "look good" but be bad

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the DTE still register? When my gauge went on my Suburban, the fuel light and dte still worked.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk