Fuel System Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obi-won

Reaction score
Hello.
2004 Expy Eddie Bauer 4.6L
167000 miles

Having some issues with my Expy. Decided i was going to give this to my daughter for a daily driver for her part time job and wanted to "tune it up". A couple of weeks back it was running very rough and got the code telling me coil pack seven was misfiring. I ordered a complete set of packs and plugs but the problem resolved itself before ever touched it. Ran great for a couple of months. But now that i am giving this to my kid i decided it was only a matter of time before it failed again so i replaced the #7 pack and spark plug (motorcraft plug). Also decided to replace fuel filter while as was at it. The engine then ran like crap. No codes were kicked off. So i swapped out the pack and plug again in the off chance it was a bad pack. Same thing, rough idle and no code. Cleaned MAF, throttle body, visually checked for vacuum leaks (replaced the EGR lines and the EGR sensor in the process), replaced couple of rubber elbows that looked cracked just in case. Still nothing. Drove it for a while then finally got code P206. So i swapped out the fuel injector at cylinder 6. Went ahead and swapped out the coil pack at 6 as well. That helped some but still getting a rough idle.

Hooked up the scanner and got these measurements from the live data at idle:
Fuel Sys 1: CL

Fuel Sys 2: NA - This used to read CL before i swapped out the fuel injector. Can't find anything online on this.
Bank1 STFT: -3.1
Bank1 LTFT: -1.6
Bank2 STFT: -1.6
Bank2 LTFT: 10.2 - This seems high to me

The oxygen sensors appear to be working correctly.
O2S1B1 was fluctuating between ~.200/~.850
O2S2B1 was holding fairly steady around .750
O2S1B2 was fluctuating between ~.200/~.850
O2S2B2 was holding fairly steady around .859

Any thoughts on this. Don't want my kid driving this thing until i get this figured out.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think that's normal for long term fuel trim. If anything, bank1 LTFT is low. Is it the original fuel pump in the Expy? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge you can take a pressure reading off the fuel rail schrader valve? Should see 35-55psi . Are the rest of the fuel injectors original ?

OP
OP
obi-won

obi-won

Reaction score
I have not checked the pressure but i am sure i can get my hands on the tool to check.
Yes all the other injectors are original.

Any thoughts on the Fuel System 2 reading N/A instead of CL on the scanner?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just "Not Available" vs "Close Loop" . No real thoughts on it other than your reader isn't picking up that signal for some reason.

Msport

Reaction score
If you suspect the fuel injectors, start the engine, using a very large screwdriver, place the flathead on the side of the fuel injector then place your ear on the plastic end, you should hear the injector clicking. If you do not hear any clicking the injector may be bad - turn the car off. Next check the connector and the PCM is sending a signal to the injector using a noid lite (GM PFI)- unplug the connector to the suspect fuel injector and the ignition coil of that cylinder, connect the noid lite to the fuel injector connector. Start the engine (quick test), you should see the light flickering/pulsating, turn the car off quickly. The light flickers connector/PCM should be good.