fuel tank size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey y'all, quick question here. everything online says gen 1 expeditions either came with a 26 or 30 gallon fuel tank. my owners manual says that my expedition should have a 30 gal. tank since it has 4wd and the air suspension. I have always been skeptical of this as I usually fuel my truck up at around 1/4 tank and im only putting in around 20 gallons. when I bought the truck the fuel sending unit was not working so I installed a new one. I decided to see how accurate the computer was at estimating fuel range. So at 285 miles on the trip odometer the low fuel light came on and at 293 miles I refueled as it said I had 0 miles till empty. after filling it said I only put in 25 some odd gallons in. so either my truck somehow has a 26 gallon tank or my on-board trip computer is off by over 50 miles. any way to check the capacity without running the tank dry? there is never a good place to run out of fuel...

OP
OP
J

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah, according to every publication I have seen it should have a 30 gal. tank, I even punched in the VIN on fords tech. site and it doesn't say anything about an optional 26 gal. tank.. I just don't know how the fuel sending unit could be off by almost 5 gallons when its a year old. 5 gallons is almost a 1/4 tank! I could always just run it out of fuel to see how much it really holds but like I said, there is never a good place to just "run out of fuel". I was just wondering if there was any why to tell by looking at the tank from underneath. my fuel tank does have 4x4 etched into it if I remember correctly from the last time I dropped it. does the on-board trip computer and the fuel sending unit work in tandem to trip the "low fuel" light or are they independent? I could see possibly installing the wrong fuel sending unit assembly because there were options for different assemblies based on driveline. Im not sure if that would throw off my fuel gauge though..

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's 30. I just replaced my fuel pump. I pumped out 10 gallons and emptied the tank to make the job easier. I put the 10 back in and put another 20 in at the gas station.

OP
OP
J

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so im wondering if I didn't buy the wrong fuel pump and sending unit for my truck? it shouldn't show empty at 25 gallons. anyone know if the float is different on fuel pumps for RWD trucks? it fit just fine in my tank but something isnt right

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so im wondering if I didn't buy the wrong fuel pump and sending unit for my truck? it shouldn't show empty at 25 gallons. anyone know if the float is different on fuel pumps for RWD trucks? it fit just fine in my tank but something isnt right

No, I think what you're seeing is normal. When my fuel light comes on, it takes around 25 gallons to top off. I noticed the inside of the tank is pretty flat with a very small indented low spot where the pump picks up. 5 gallons is pretty low in these tanks. I also think Ford may have done this on purpose since running these pumps dry can cause pump failure.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or that's the "reserve". My wife's 2012 Escape has a similar feature. We've run it to "0 miles to empty" and beyond a couple times.

OP
OP
J

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suppose it could be the reserve but I have never heard of a reserve being so much. I thought typically a reserve was 1-2 gallons.. oh well I suppose its a better issue than having your fuel gauge say you have more fuel than you actually do.

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A 1 or 2 gallon reserve is okay when you get 20-30mpg. When your epa combined is 13mpg, you need a little more emergency range.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik