Fuse for steering wheel buttons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TpaRob

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L. The steering wheel buttons that control radio and cruise have stopped working. In checking the manual, I don't see which fuse I should check. Any suggestions?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuse #12 & 28 run the speed control. You have to be above 30 mph for it to come on. But when in doubt check every fuse with a multi-meter. You still have the stock stereo installed?

Also this deactivator switch is a known culprit as well .... Motorcraft SW5957 Speed Control Deactivator Switch
It's mounted on the left side of the brake pedal arm. When it fails it prevents the system from turning on.
To release it turn it 1/4 turn .

375x375_products-MCT-SW5957.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TpaRob

Reaction score
I visually checked those fuses along with #5 but not with a multi-meter. I do have the original 6 disc cd stereo installed. I tried the test with holding off button and turning key to on but got nothing. I still feel like I'm not getting power to those buttons and a fuse might be the problem.

OP
OP
T

TpaRob

Reaction score
Rick, I did find the other thread. After running the test in TSB-06-8-5, the cruise control buttons came back to life. The audio control buttons still do not work so I'll look for another TSB. Thanks.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometimes you can spray WD-40 under the buttons & clean them. They are easily removed. Same thread/reply #25 (right side of time bar) & afterwards