Fuse number for check engine light? (97 Exp 4X EB)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
AuctionExp

AuctionExp

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everybody. I took my time, and replaced all the bulbs in the instrument panel.

Once I had everything back in place, I re-connected the battery and voila the CEL is working again.

As I noted, I did replace all the bulbs, but now I think I may have caused another problem. I was checking the bulbs, and when I used the 4WD selector switch, I was only able to get the 4x4 and Low Range lights to illuminate. When the selector switch is in 2WD or A4WD, there are no indicators on the dash.

This is my first Expedition, and I wanted to ask if there were supposed to be lights for the 2WD and/or the A4WD? Maybe because I was just in Park that the A4WD did not illuminate?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Auction, yes, there is a light for the A4WD, but not for the 2WD position. It may be that you put the bulb in wrong or something else "simple" happened. Honestly, I would not worry about it. Unless you use the A4WD a lot, it is going to be tons more work than it is probably worth. For me, if that bulb burned out, I would never know. I am always going straight from 2WD to 4HI and only see the light come on as it is shifting through AWD.

mhowington

Reaction score
bulb number for dash/cluster lights

does anyone happen to have the bulb number? I need to replace mine (and one of the illumination ones (left side) I suppose I could pull the dash and take the bulb with me, but thought perhaps... someone may already know what I need to get.

mhowington

Reaction score
I am not sure what link your helpful reply refers to, but does this mysterious link have the bulb numbers? Pulling the dash isnt something I need instructions for- but I would rather have the right bulbs before I pulll it so replace them. Its really not all that hard- I had to pull it to replace the odomerter a few months ago- I should have just replaced them all then- I specifically need the check engine one- 194LL? no parts store seems to know and my "friendly local area ford dealer" is useless as always- unless I want a dash assembly LoL

mhowington

Reaction score
oh, you can make a link in test, neat. That link displayed, after 4 pages of ads this:

"Because this job can be complicated for the inexperienced, I recommend investing in a Haynes Repair Manual. The one that covers this vehicle is #36059 and covers Ford Pick-ups and Expeditions from 1997 thru 2002. I recently replaced the bulbs in my instrument cluster, so I can attest that it is a pain to do this job. It is not very hard, but it takes some time. The bulbs are cheap, so I bought a box of ten and replaced them all, because as you know, if I just replaced the two that were bad, I'd be going back very soon to do the rest. The Haynes manual is very good. You have to remove the headlight switch first, and there is a trick to that. The illustrations are great to find the screws that hold things together. I followed the book step by step and found the help to be excellent. Good luck."

so I ask again, does anyone know which bulbs are needed? I assume there are two sets- one set for the illumination (speedo etc so you can see at night) and than a different one for the idiot lights. Perhaps they are the same- either way- I am not sure which ones I need to get. 194LL?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-Bulb-194-Pack-Bulbs/dp/B002PDRDOQ

My bad, I just do the googling for you. I did not read the link close enough to tell that the part # was referring to the Haynes Manual. All you have to do is type in your truck, and your part you are looking for, and a whole list of fun stuff pops up. That is the bulb you are looking for.

I find it hard that the Ford dealer could not tell you the part #. Call a different one maybe?

Here is another one: http://www.expeditionforum.com/f45/light-bulb-size-interior-exterior-7322/

But just in case my "helpful" links are too much for you, the bulb size is 194 according to about 5 minutes of research.

Last edited:

mhowington

Reaction score
well perhaps my search skills are not as refined as yours- I need to working on my keyboard jockey muscles.

You are correct, some of the bulbs are 194, the others are 37 (Ive a 1997 5.4). I actually only found one post that referred to the regular bulb numbers, and a slew of posts that explained how to do it. For most those would have been very helpful. The one post said something like 10 194s and 2 37. I found this inaccuratte for my 97. There are more like 12 194s and 7 or 8 37s.

I found the mystery (which created a new mystery) of why my CE stopped working. After pulling the cluster, the light was not there. The light was there recently.. as I had a bad coil and the CE was on... but... for some reason it was not there. The new mystery is- what happened tot he assembly?

So after replacing as many as I had bulbs for (I only bought 2 37s), it started making this annoying noise- 5 beeps, 3 second break, 5 beeps- all coming from under the passengar dash or floorboard area. Naturally I ASSumed I had done something wrong. Turns out, as the manual says, it was related to the airbag. I guess I did something to the bulb as I checked KOEO and no airbag light. Took it apart, again... and found it.

Now- hopefully this will help others. The previous owners pretty well trashed the truck before we got it- and ive slowly been trying to get it back to factory condition. Two of the lights were missing (in addition to the CE) and even had tape over them. In searching the major vendors for the bulb number, I found them a step shy of useless- I mean.. who would mean headlight bulb when searching for CE? I found the numbers and of course- they are pretty common and standard- for the bulb. My local NAPA had the bulb holders too- and both those and the bulbs were around a dollar- the other major labels it was... closer to 5.

Advise:

- Follow the instructions (search the forums) for details on pulling out the instrument cluster. Its not as hard as most commonly believe. Just be careful (the previous owner apparently yanked it and broke some of the clips)
- If you think you may ever consider upgrading the bulbs this would be the time to do it
- Pay attention to which bolts you pull from where. In my case, someone had done this before me- based on the missing bolts.
- Its not necessary to unplug the cluster, I could only get two of the pigtails out, the second time, I left them connnected
- make sure they are seated fully.
- reinstall everything as you took it out. You can even test while it is still out (but plugged in) just be very careful when doing so