Garage Door Opener Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Just ran a test. Homelink acts like it is powered all the time but it's not. Homelink is powered as soon as a door is opened and for some time after. Don't know the time delay until power is cut. Anyone accessing the truck after opening a door can open the garage door. Reaching thru a window after the truck has been Off for a while won't open the door.

-- Chuck

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ran a test. Homelink acts like it is powered all the time but it's not. Homelink is powered as soon as a door is opened and for some time after. Don't know the time delay until power is cut. Anyone accessing the truck after opening a door can open the garage door. Reaching thru a window after the truck has been Off for a while won't open the door.

-- Chuck
That's kind of disappointing. I really haven't set mine up on the 17 because I park outside but I had it working on the 05 and never noticed that issue. I might just have to try it and see what happens.

Did you try locking the door and then popping the lock like someone breaking into to see if it is still powered or if the security system cuts it off?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just those quick tests. I currently park inside the garage and I've always opened the garage door as soon as I get in the truck and before even putting the key in the ignition. Assumption was the HomeLink was always powered. Turned out to seem that way but not actually true. Might be something in Forscan that can be set.

I'll run more tests as I get time as we're moving in 3 weeks and were unable to find a 3-car garage in our new area. Her car goes in the new garage (duh) as well as my S2000 roadster so the Expedition will get left outdoors. As an aside the HomeLink from an old, defective left visor from my '07 is velcroed under the dashboard of the Honda and wired always hot. The visor would not remain up, just flopped down. Expensive visor!

-- Chuck

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is how my Oddy and Lexus worked. Do you have a keypad outside for the garage door? If so and since the truck is going to stay outside maybe don't program the homelink buttons. A bit of PITA but maybe worth it if you are really worried about being broken into.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. That's the current setup at the new (to us) house. One (1) remote opener from the prior owners is in her car. Can't seem to program the opener to HomeLinks in either the Ford or Subaru at present anyway so am stuck for now with this setup.

-- Chuck