Gas Mileage Report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wali4vr

Reaction score
Having driven commercial trucks many miles and many years I have to tell all of you. Don't - DO NOT ATTEMPT to draft a semi for ANY reason. If that driver has to make ANY sudden change in direction, speed or even just a 5mph increase in head wind there's a very good chance you will end up dead. Not a very good exchange rate. Happy motoring.
ps
Its also illegal!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having driven commercial trucks many miles and many years I have to tell all of you. Don't - DO NOT ATTEMPT to draft a semi for ANY reason. If that driver has to make ANY sudden change in direction, speed or even just a 5mph increase in head wind there's a very good chance you will end up dead. Not a very good exchange rate. Happy motoring.
ps
Its also illegal!

Only if he's running an empty container, you're not paying attention, AND your brakes are shit

Since ONLY sudden deceleration on his part can make you hit him as youre behind him matching speed

Should ACTUALLY read:

1) never drive ALONGSIDE a semi matching speed, his accelerations and decelerations can hit you with massive turbulence and if he doesnt notice you, a swerve from him could nail you with the side of a cargo container

2) never tailgate a SPORTSCAR like a bimmer/porsche/corvette, his brakes are twice your size for half your weight and if he brakes hard in front of you, youre hitting him 100%

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try to be as friendly to professional drivers as I can, reason being I see them dealing with selfish drivers all the time who screw them. Drafting up close behind them is a true annoyance and they can’t see you. Do you guys like it when a little Honda rides your bumber by 2 inches? I certainly don’t because the same applies, your worried about that driver paying attention when you hit your brakes or make a maneuver. We are driving 6,000 pound tubs down the road most of us probabaly aren’t all that concerned with every last drop of highway fuel mileage we can squeeze out.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed JL and good advice. Drafting came about in racing but contrary to what many believe, it wasn't just used as a means of staying with a faster rider/driver....it was ALL ABOUT FUEL USAGE.....in racing, fuel is GOLD and the difference between drafting and not can mean as much as FOUR TIMES the range. Do it correctly, and you can eliminate a gas stop at best or at least finish as worst.

It is NOT safe to do on the highways and byways of America though....those aren't professional racers out there.....you going to trust your life to anything less?

jeff

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nobody drafts semis bumper to bumper, that math is for similarly sized small vehicles not for following something 15 times your size

Also the rock strikes would get you far faster than the recklessness

MrTommy

Reaction score
I know I'm a bit late to the party here, but regarding drafting semi's...
I retired after 35 years on the road. The biggest danger to drafting (or even following fairly close) a 'big truck' is when it blows a tire - an event that happens more than you know. When a tire goes, it can take out everything on the tail end of the trailer. Tail lights, mud flaps, any bits and pieces of whatever holds this stuff on the rear end - and throw it all over the road, especially if you're following too close. Not to mention the "gators", which is what we call those huge strips of thick, metal lined rubber that used to be the tire. It's amazing to watch in the side mirror as we truck along.

When I was teaching my kids to drive I told them to NEVER, NEVER follow or pace a big truck at high speed.

Rant over. ;)

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Best fuel economy I’ve seen thus far (almost a year exactly owning the truck) is 20.8mpg on the highway. That’s going an average 70mph. 2017 EL LTD. I’m very happy with it.

Oldnerdguy

Reaction score
Usually 18 - 19 on the Interstate at 75 to 78 mph.
17 - 18 combined hwy and city. But the city driving is not big city stop and go. Just reduced speeds with a few stop lights.
I have seen as good 24 on a secondary hwy at 55 - 60 mph for about 100 miles. Road was flat and straight and boring.

The best mileage in all scenarios for me is when I have 91 octane in the tank. 87 octane is consistently 1 - 2 mpg less. 93 octane does not seem to be any better at all and is more money.

Lately, as the weather is turning cooler the mpg is dropping.

2017 XLT non-EL 4x4.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the subject of gas mileage if I were really concerned about it I would have bought a Prius or some other hybrid vehicle. I bought my Expedition for the size and for comfort. I'm happy I that I get better gas mileage than my 05 but I like to drive fast so I'll take what I get in gas mileage. :)