Gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just some thoughts and wanted to hear what you think and see what kind of mileage you might be getting with your Expedition lifted or lowered.

Guess list motor and tires if you are lifted. List if you noticed a gain when lowered. Or if you lifted then returned it back to stock if there was a gain.

1999 5.4 stock tire size, rims but 3 inchs of lift and with 230,000.

Did the math today and Im getting about 15 miles per gallon....blows!

I do a lot of driving with my WW kayaks on top and am wondering if going back to stock height “maybe lower” would help.

Got to get every mile I can get now days!

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's pretty normal mpg, especially with that many miles on the engine. Being lower will slightly increase mpg but by such a small amount that it's not really worth the cost or time to lower. Also staying under 2000 rpms helps mpg... most gas effecient out of the whole rpm range is 1800 rpm

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like smooth said, your getting average mileage. Most people with programmers say they help out a bit and a CAI and exhaust will help as well. . . when your foot is out of it. I usually average 14-16 hwy and don't calculate city cuz it sucks. The biggest thing that kills mileage when getting lift is the larger tires without regearing. I have a 99 4.6 with 265-75-16 tires by the way and 170k on the motor.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've consistently gotten 20 mpg if I set cruise control at 65 mph- if I draft behind an 18 wheeler I get a solid 25 mpg, and if I change lanes away from him it drops back to 19-20 again. If I cruise at 70 mph the mpg drops to 18.5 average.

Luckily my daily route to work consists of 8 miles straightaway at 45-50 mph, and at that speed I get 24 mpg. When I'm trying hard to save gas, I don't go over 1400 rpm. Driving like that ****** some people off but they just go around me. Usually by the end of the week my average city/hwy is 16.3mpg.

The only mods so far are an SCT tuner, I've got the ignition timing maxed out, I only run 93 octane or 100LL when it's available. I also have the GOTTS mod which I believe hurt the mpg a little bit. The PCV valve inline oil separator may have helped mpg a slight amount, at the minimum it's keeping a lot of oil from getting all over my intake manifold.

PS: The exhaust mods were just done yesterday and today so I don't know what impact they'll have on city/hwy mpg. The reason for modding the exhaust was mainly for mpg gains.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjtehan