Gas smell, puzzled...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
If you do in fact have a small leak at the top of the tank, you can seal it with some Permatex Plastic Tank repair. That stuff's pretty good. Do you actually see evidence of a leak? Like a wet trail on the tank, or drops of gas on the ground after a fill up ?

https://www.permatex.com/products/s...tank-repair/permatex-plastic-tank-repair-kit/

Thanks for the info, I'm going to study up on that. It helps.

That product states not for fuel tank repair, but they have other products titled for fuel tank repair. Also, the part is metal (or used to be metal before becoming rust and falling onto driveway) but the product is for plastic. Is there any reason why you suggest that product vs the others?

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
So my mechanic took a real good look and sadly the fill tube assembly is rotted. Replacement parts (entire assembly) coming from Ford. With Labor $475. Have to do it. So much rust under my truck. 90K miles. Already replaced radiator support, both rockers. Getting sick of putting money into it. Rest of the truck is showroom. Not sure what I would get for a trade in or selling it at this point.
Are you interested in a Macgyver fix (cob job, jerryrig, etc)? Depending on the severity of the rust damage there are probably a variety of temporary fixes you can do. I like the fuel tank repair suggestion. Another idea might be large (gas tolerable) hose put around the tube and held in place with SS hose clamps. You are only limited by your imagination ... and insurance coverage. Being fuel, might be best to repair reliably.

If you do get the replacement part, can you post the Ford part number and pictures? I know if Rusty lasts another year or so I'm probably going to need to do the same thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The pipe is so rusted out. As soon as it was touched it fell apart. No leak was ever found. It was just fumes.

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will post some pictures. Truck coming back today.

Dwilds

Reaction score
I inquired about some kind of tank repair like you suggested but the mechanic at the time said in his opinion gas fumes would disintegrate any attempt to seal the leak at the top of the plastic tank. I never see any evidence of the leak except the smell and occasional code light that I just reset via a obdII Bluetooth dongle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Almost same here. No evidence of any leak, just a fume/gas smell. Mostly I smell it right around the rear driver side tire well. I replaced gas cap as a big maybe, but no. No code lights, no leaks. Just a smell.

Fumes are very flammable and I really wouldn't take a chance on a repair for something under $500.