Gas tank won’t fully fill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
I was thinkin the jerrycan idea also, but it IS a risk to drive around with gas in the cabin. Small risk but nonetheless.

I also thought if it was me .... I'd keep gushing gas in until it was obviously full. BAD IDEA. After looking at the fill tube recently and finding out about the EVAP system (which I never knew was there) that sounds like another risky game to play.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m at 3/4 tank now I’m stopping again to top it off (first click) and I’ll see where it lands.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Common Ford problem. Research fuel vapor canister - about $160 from RockAuto, about 1 hour labor, if
you can't do it yourself.

Msport

Reaction score
I saw somewhere in youtube talking about the evap system and explaining symptoms of a bad Vapor Canister Vent Valve/Solenoid. One of the problems with the vent valve not working properly was not being able to fill up the tank to full, but the first indication would be the engine service light coming ON (p0455 the common code for bad gas cap).

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2004 XP, no fill problem since new. Wife's 2006 Mustang is on the 3rd canister. Never a code, would only take half-a-tank of fuel.

Original canister lasted 12 years, second canister lasted 3 years.
Replacing the canister always solved the problem immediately.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well seems something corrected itself, the gas gauge sat at at the same spot for some miles of driving. Then dropped below, and now it fills to 425 Miles to E again. Huh, I’m stumped. But also not worried about it.

TDBDLB

Reaction score
Like MrSticker noted, could be sulphur buildup on tank solenoid reader. Had this happen on Vette when moved to KC where sulphuric content was higher in gas. Techron fuel cleaner fixed in just a few days evertime fuel gauge acted up.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an update, the last few fill ups it didn’t read full yet again. I then bought 2 bottles of Techtron concentrate fuel system cleaner and ran it through a tank full. Just filled it up and it reads proper and full again! Thanks for the suggestion on Techtron!

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a ’98 Explorer and an ’01 Mountaineer that both displayed the exact same symptoms. They both hit ‘full’, when I could (slowly, manually, a quarter of a gallon at a time, pump shuts off, repeat) still add another five gallons to the tank. Had to keep an eye on the end of the filler tube when doing this though, to ensure I didn’t ‘overfill’ and have an overspill issue. That process ultimately worked…needed some patience towards the end of the 5-gal top-off though.

Would’a been nice if, back in the day, similar bubbas on the Exploder Forum had found out about the magic of Techtron and posted the results.

Last edited: