Gear shift on the column won't go into Park.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taz24

Reaction score
So when I say it won't go into Park I mean the lever will go all the way up but it will not engage Park, You can just feel it not go in. You can turn the key to off and remove it but when you try to start the engine, nothing, yes all the starting indicators come on but no starting the engine, you have to shift to neautral to start. Also, though the lever will go all the way to the bottom it will not engage into low 1. Yes I have laid on the floor and adjusted the shift indictor via the adjustment wheel. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome.

What year and how many miles on your Expy?

If you gently push the shifter upward while attempting to start, will it engage? Mine occasionally does that too and when I shut her off, I ensure to give it an extra little movement to ensure it engages the detent.

PanHandler.

OP
OP
T

Taz24

Reaction score
It's a '98. My wife's vehicle, so I don't know the miles off-hand, but a lot, close to 95k? maybe?. When you move the lever you can physically feel it not engage, it's all the way at the top of the column.

1koerner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have u climbed underneath and took a look at the linkage make sure its not binding up

OP
OP
T

Taz24

Reaction score
When you say underneath, you mean under the vehicle, right?, not under the dash. I have not looked under the Expy, not sure where to look. But someone at my work did suggest the maybe it is possible to adjust the linkage, just not sure where tht would be.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ironically mine just did this for the first time last night. And I have had a similar problem in the past with it not wanting to select drive.

When you put the shifter all the way to 1, that is just first gear. The only time low range gear is engaged is when you are in 4x4low.

As for the shifting, it might be beneficial to try and remove that little boot at the base of the shifter. If there is a small rock or something that got in there, it could simply be keeping the lever from going up all the way. After that, check the linkage as was said. The shifter has to be all the way at the top, otherwise the truck thinks it might be in gear and consequently will not let the engine turn over.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Taz24

Reaction score
Thanks to all

Problem fixed. I appreciate all the posts. It was the two #30 Torx bolts that were loose.:guile-1: KNOCKED OUT!