General Offroad Capability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Panda, the sand in Hawaii is about 12-18" deep and nothing but powder essentially. It isn't like the sand beaches in WA/OR or even on the outer banks. I watched a friend with 15.5" wide tires sink his F-150 on this sand. Granted, it didn't help that his truck was only a 2wd.

But, like I mentioned, I didn't get stuck, I simply found that the truck needed tons more power to make it through and also required 4hi.

When I lived in Hawaii... the beaches I went to were easy to walk on. Realitively firm sand now I admit I never went to a beach that you drive on. The sand in the outer banks is deep.... at least in Avon, ocean side that is. It takes a lot of effort to walk through. I actually drag bottom frequently with the stock suspension. I have seen plenty of 4wd's get stuck there. Thats actually part of the fun.. lol. One huge bronco with lift kit monster tires ect... came blazing in one day and made it appr 300 ft before he got stuck. It turns out it was either 2wd or his 4wd was not working as he just started sinking his rear wheels in. Just saying I don't think you can get any deeper sand. Its a blast to drive in. Momentum is your friend! I will try and get some good photos this year.

Just dont go on a windy day as it will sandblast your truck!!

Attachments

• Outerbankssand.jpg
    Outerbankssand.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 58

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
and low tire pressure. that is also your friend!!! when im in the dunes im down to 15psi and im good to go.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well you have street tires. i would go lower than 20 unless your stuck. mine at 15 are crazy. so much traction in the sand.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4hi? 4lo? in the sand? havent you heard of having fun? i pulled my 4wd fuse just because of the sand but then again all my first trips to the sand where in 2wd trucks. 4wd in the sand is so blah! i was so pissed before i learned where the fuse was my buddy would be in front of me going around rocks etc fishtailing and having fun and the expy did soo good. once i pulled the fuse sand became my friend again. i love going fast through the sand. thats what i grew up doing my 2wd pickups would sink as soon as i let off the throttle so i was always wide open and in second gear. just a fyi i bought my first automatic a year or so ago, for my wife. expy was for her too but im the only one that drives so i guesss its become mine.

OP
OP
R

rob845

Reaction score
WOW, thanks everyone! Ya the Bronco could turn better but then again the wheelbase is a bit shorter. Although the Expy does turn better then my 06 Durango. Right now I don't plan on doing to many technical trails. But we are making a trip from Houston to Estes Park Colorado in 1.5 weeks and have a few trails near where are staying and want to make a few runs up them without worry. Last year about the most I was able to do was Old Fall river road due to time. But I would consider that more of a VERY tame fire road ( HAHAHA to to the fact 2 door coupes were making it.

I spent some time working on it this weekend, I did a TT and 3" spacers and now looking at tires...

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
nice. might as well get some more ground clearance and bigger tires for the trails.

well some good news for my truck. she popped her wsater crossing cherry last night at about 12am. went to the desert with a buddy and went threw this trail where it had a SUPER small water crossing. but hey a water crossing is a water crossing. my buddy said i looked like Jurassic park with my lights on going threw the water. haha wish i had pics, but it was late so didnt wanna stop too long. going to hit the rest of the trail later in the year since its mostly closed due to the big horn sheep drinking area. some cool little frogs and jumping spiders bouncing around there.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
4hi? 4lo? in the sand? havent you heard of having fun? i pulled my 4wd fuse just because of the sand but then again all my first trips to the sand where in 2wd trucks. 4wd in the sand is so blah! i was so pissed before i learned where the fuse was my buddy would be in front of me going around rocks etc fishtailing and having fun and the expy did soo good. once i pulled the fuse sand became my friend again. i love going fast through the sand. thats what i grew up doing my 2wd pickups would sink as soon as i let off the throttle so i was always wide open and in second gear. just a fyi i bought my first automatic a year or so ago, for my wife. expy was for her too but im the only one that drives so i guesss its become mine.

Outerbanks sand in 2wd and you will get stuck. Certainly in an Expy....to damn heavy. The bronco I refered to in an earlier post came in blazing but it just keep slowing down.... and you could tell he was on the throttle as it was spinning the rear tires as it slowed. The deep sand is just too much drag.

Its fun in 4wd because the vehicle kinda goes where it wants and the steering keeps you busy. I wouldnt say its fishtailing but it yaws left and right.....and you can turn the wheel full lock and it keeps going straight for another 60 ft or so. The worse part is it is almost impossible to tell the dips and peaks in the sand and it makes for a rough ride. Slows you down so everthing is not flying out of the vehicle including the passengers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FukNshT