General Offroad Capability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob845

Reaction score
I was wondering how the expy's ( 1st gen, 2nd etc ) do off road. I am assuming due to the size of the trucks that the transfer case is stout. But what about the diff's? What are the general areas of weakness that should be looked at first if you were looking to build an off road rig? what would you improve?

I'm not talking about trying to follow a jeep, or crawl 3' walls and forge 6' creeks or survive a blast from 7lbs of C4 ( LOL Top Gear anyone ) just something that you would not think twice if you had a change to go exploring.

Anyone have good pics of their rig off road?

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Marauder wad bad ass. As far as the 2nd gen, I learned real quick that you at least need the spacer lift and 33's. I got stuck on the breakover angle at the top of a hill. I had to get pulled off. I crawled up and down the hills just fine. Just need more ground clearance!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 97 hasn't had a problem getting anywhere that I wanted it to go yet. I was very surprised at the off road capability. 4 low works great and the rear axle is nearly bullet proof.

OP
OP
R

rob845

Reaction score
The last truck I took off road or built up was a 96 Bronco 5.8 W/4" lift and 33 tires. It was a hell of a truck. Minus the extra length of the expy I am hoping that these work off road at least as well...

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
they work just as well. the flex on the rear end of the 1st gens is great! the 2nd gens i would recommend a 3/2 lift and at least 33s. but you can make it stock on some great locations. heres my youtube channel and some cool videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/98offroadFORDexpo?feature=mhee the "anderson truck trail" videos are the ones you wanna watch. its me, tallsville, and smoothexpy out there. smooth is 2wd. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jN4AxnBkDI and heres another video. im going to stick with open desert for now on or at least till i get a bigger lift and/or bigger tires. i keep hitting my gas tank and my tranny has a nice big dent in the pan.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The biggest limitation that I've found is the front diff. You really need a selectable locker to do any remotely serious wheeling. (unless you're a fan of 3 wheel drive)

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
The biggest limitation that I've found is the front diff. You really need a selectable locker to do any remotely serious wheeling. (unless you're a fan of 3 wheel drive)

If one of the front wheels sees air its pretty much 2wd at that point with the open diff. :( I know thats unlikely but with some of you rock crawlers?! Tony does not have to worry as he has an extra 500 pounds on the front end! :) :joke:

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
99Voodoo, when it comes to the first generation X's, they are pretty stout and if I had to give it a weakness, it would either be the IFS and its general weakness due to the CV joints and inability to handle larger tires or the rear springs moving in their mounts when you twist up the truck severely (maybe this is just a problem with my Rancho lift). But, other than that, point the wheels and go for it.

Now, for the second and third gen trucks, the IRS is the weak link for the fact that due to its design, when you twist up the truck, the rear end tends to sink vice rising up (like a solid axle does). This leads to the rear differential getting caught up on stuff. Back in 2002, another Expedition group I am involved with managed to get hooked up with Ford and Ford brought out a test mule to put through its paces. So, there was about 20 X's going through the woods nose to tail. The only trucks to get stuck that day were the test mules. So, just something of note. Granted, all the members said the newer X's road great on the road, but out 4x4ing, they preferred their 1st gens.

Any other info that you are after?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 1st gens are a lot better for offroading than the newer gens... more lifts and fit bigger tires stocks... but mine has gone pretty much anywhere I wanted to go... not much rock crawling but goes through mud,snow, water and keeps on trucking

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Of note, the 1st gens will go through water up over the headlights. NOt that I have testing that personally. LMAO. I will admit that it is a little scary to look out the driver's window and see the water level up near the door handle. But, it will survive just fine. Done it twice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FukNshT