get rid of cats?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jason_CPAPS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok thought so. for older vehicles its alot easier expecially when you know someone who does the inspections

OP
OP
J

Jason_CPAPS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So replace the front cats and get rid of back. Is this where I use the spark plug non foulers? old rear cats will remain for visual. You guys have a recommended vendor to get the front cats from?

joecrotch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have no cats and non fouler's and get no CEL. Warning though my state does not do any kind of vehicle inspections, as long as you have insurance you can register a vehicle.

this is what I noticed after removing all 4 cats. The acceleration is much better, throttle response is incredible. I seem to use less of the gas pedal to achieve the same effect.
I still have the stock muffler so cruising is still mellow, when I hit the gas it gets a nice low rumble, sounds like a very expensive exhaust system.

Another plus was my gas does'nt seem to disapear as fast as it use to, I need to check what my actual mileage is.

OP
OP
J

Jason_CPAPS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
are you just using non foulers on the rear o2s. All my cats are gutted because they were seriously stopped up. I am getting P0171 and P0174 banks 1 and 2 lean. I didn't get these codes til the cats were gutted. Emissions inspection up here depends on the county. Everyone doesn't have to have it

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
jason, you can get rid of all of the cats, but then you have to install an O2 sensor simulator. The computer is looking for a difference between the upstream and downstream O2 levels. If it doesn't see this, it will cause the CEL to come on. This is how the computer monitors if the cat is functioning properly or not. As long as you keep the front cat (ie, the one between the upstream and downstream sensors), you are fine. You just need some sort of cat between the two to alter the O2 levels.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Thermo do I need the simulator for all 4 o2s or just the rear 2?

The front o2's are used by the ecu for tuning purposes and are ahead of the cats. They will not be affected in anyway by removal of the cats. They are also very important for the ecu's ability to properly tune. Do not screw with the front 02's.