Getting tired now....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any SERVICE ENGINE lights? Maybe hook up a scanner and scan the ECU right as the "30 seconds of trouble" starts. Could show you a temp code.

My guess is it's some sensor that comes into play just as the truck is starting to warm up. It's faulty, but it's ignored at start up (like the o2 sensors) and then the computer looks at it after that 20 seconds and it give a bad signal and the computer does something that causes it to stumble. Not sure why it would correct so quickly and stay corrct then. Not sure what sensor would work that way either.

OP
OP
ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any SERVICE ENGINE lights? Maybe hook up a scanner and scan the ECU right as the "30 seconds of trouble" starts. Could show you a temp code.

My guess is it's some sensor that comes into play just as the truck is starting to warm up. It's faulty, but it's ignored at start up (like the o2 sensors) and then the computer looks at it after that 20 seconds and it give a bad signal and the computer does something that causes it to stumble. Not sure why it would correct so quickly and stay corrct then. Not sure what sensor would work that way either.

Actually the truck had the CHECK ENGINE light on. Has had it for months now; went to check for the code and mechanic said it was a air sensor or something like that and that cost will be some $150....But I didnt changed that. Then a guy told me to change the PCV Valve...but mechanic said the existing one was so hard to pull out, that he said it will probably break...so I said to leave it as it is now. What does the PCV valve do? Could that probably be malfcuntioning?

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually the truck had the CHECK ENGINE light on. Has had it for months now; went to check for the code and mechanic said it was a air sensor or something like that and that cost will be some $150....But I didnt changed that. Then a guy told me to change the PCV Valve...but mechanic said the existing one was so hard to pull out, that he said it will probably break...so I said to leave it as it is now. What does the PCV valve do? Could that probably be malfcuntioning?

AH HA, click and clack strike again.

First off, I still have no idea what your problem is, but here is how I would further investigate.

When I asked about the light, what you have is a hard code. That is permanently set until manually cleared. You need someone with a code reader that you can hook up when everything is cold and you know it's gonna do the dying thing. My EXPY used to set a soft code or a pending code for cylinder misfire. If I scanned it right away, I got the code, but if I took it to the Auto Parts store, no code. Because by then, it had reset itself, since it was only pending.
So go kidnap one of the kids from Autozone and have them ride with you around the block. The only issue is, it sounds like this has to be before the truck ever g4ets warm for the day.

Next thing I would do is splurge the $6 that the PCV costs. But be sure to get the right one. When they looked my truck up, it listed a vertical PCV valve. Well mine has a plastic 90 degree elbow that was too brittle to use again. Luckily I had the truck there and I took the old one off and had them match it up to one that came with the elbow. I knew mine was bad because when I first started the truck, whether it sat all night or for 10 minutes, I'd get a big single puff of smoke from the exhaust.

Then have them hook up the OBDII reader and clear the code. Now when you drive and it acts up, immediately scan it. Whatever code you have shown should be the cause. I did this with another vehicle that had a few codes that I knew were there and just let them go. I cleared them out, and ran it until I got a code, then I immediately checked it and sure enough, one code and I fixed it and all was good.

If none of this works, disconnect the battery and turn on the headlights to totally drain the system. Hook the battery back up and see if the issue goes away. Maybe the computer learned something bad and you need it to forget it. I really doubt it, cause thats not really how it works, but at this point you are desperate, right? Have you sacrificed a goat for the truck? Sometimes that helps.

OP
OP
ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
AH HA, click and clack strike again.

First off, I still have no idea what your problem is, but here is how I would further investigate.

When I asked about the light, what you have is a hard code. That is permanently set until manually cleared. You need someone with a code reader that you can hook up when everything is cold and you know it's gonna do the dying thing. My EXPY used to set a soft code or a pending code for cylinder misfire. If I scanned it right away, I got the code, but if I took it to the Auto Parts store, no code. Because by then, it had reset itself, since it was only pending.
So go kidnap one of the kids from Autozone and have them ride with you around the block. The only issue is, it sounds like this has to be before the truck ever g4ets warm for the day.

Next thing I would do is splurge the $6 that the PCV costs. But be sure to get the right one. When they looked my truck up, it listed a vertical PCV valve. Well mine has a plastic 90 degree elbow that was too brittle to use again. Luckily I had the truck there and I took the old one off and had them match it up to one that came with the elbow. I knew mine was bad because when I first started the truck, whether it sat all night or for 10 minutes, I'd get a big single puff of smoke from the exhaust.

Then have them hook up the OBDII reader and clear the code. Now when you drive and it acts up, immediately scan it. Whatever code you have shown should be the cause. I did this with another vehicle that had a few codes that I knew were there and just let them go. I cleared them out, and ran it until I got a code, then I immediately checked it and sure enough, one code and I fixed it and all was good.

If none of this works, disconnect the battery and turn on the headlights to totally drain the system. Hook the battery back up and see if the issue goes away. Maybe the computer learned something bad and you need it to forget it. I really doubt it, cause thats not really how it works, but at this point you are desperate, right? Have you sacrificed a goat for the truck? Sometimes that helps.

Well... Thanks for taking your time on helping me out... and as you said... trouble is to have the truck scan while it does its thing... which is always when it it cold...I might buy or have loaned one of these scanners uh? Will do that and get my results back in here....