Getting tired now....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well...I posted my problems months ago. It started probably around last August 2011. Engine is cold. I turn it on, warm it for say 2 minutes, then drive. When it drives for 1 or 2 blocks it start to hesitate, stop responding, engine won't respond, shakes, if I accelerates it wont respond, nor advance normally. Then after say 10-20 seconds it suddenly regains power and once engine is on operating temperature it runs smoothy. When I start it again at 5PM to get back home, same problem again, every day, every week, every month. I changed all plugs and installed 8 new Motorcrfats, new Motorcraft oil filter, new Quaker State oil, new engine coolant, new coolant deposit cap. All of that 3 weeks ago. But still same thing over and over again. Today I turned on and warmed engine for five minutes, then drive it; five blocks away I made a sharp turn and engine turned off. So P put it in parking and turned it on again. Rest of drive was smooth and nice and with lots of power. What could be wrong? Any help or experience sharing will be appreciated.

2002 Ford Expedition XLT
4.6 Triton
125,000 miles.
Not 4x4

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this might be funny. but im almost certain its the fuel pump. when im running on low i turn right it dies or almost dies. or facing down hill it dose the same thing. change it and it should clear up.

4x43V

Reaction score
Or clogged fuel filter. Have you replaced that?

Sent while dropping a deuce!

OP
OP
ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel filter has been replaced six months ago. Fuel pump is the car's original. Why this happens ONLY when engine is cold? Also, yesterday fuel tank was half way, so don't think my friend PANDA that is the case.

OP
OP
ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When truck is cold it runs normal for the first 20 seconds...at 30 seconds or so suddenly it starts losing all power, shakes, I push the accelerator pedal and it only struggles and hesitates but it doesn't advance...all cars behind got to push brakes; I turn on the flashers, then after 10-30 seconds of doing this, suddenlyt regains all the power and then runs excellent and as I said...with lots of power...the issue don't come back as long as the truck is on operating temperature; but, say if I go to work and park it al 9AM, then at 5 same happens again...and again...and again...

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my guess is still the fuel pump. it seems fuel related since you replaced all the electrical stuff.

OP
OP
ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll follow your advise and will buy a new fuel pump...Dang...these are expensive... Some $200 bucks plus installation... I will post what happened here... Meanwhile if you think on some other possibilities... Thanks.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say pump as well. Put the pump in yourself and save the $$$$$.