Glad to meet ya....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Velvet79

Reaction score
Hello all!
New member here! I just bought an awesome 2016 Expy SSV with 130,000 miles in pristine condition. I love it so much BUT I need some help.
I've been unsuccessfully trying to install aftermarket running boards (Iarmor) but the bolt and or the self tapping screw won't fit the top hole on the rocker panel. The instructions state if there are threads, use the bolt, if not, use the self tapping screw, both m8. Well, the bolt is too big and the screw seems like it's tightening up then, bam, loose again and falls out. I've talked with the company, tried all different sizes.... I told the company that it's like the screw doesn't have enough backing to hold, that I need u clips or j clips or something and they told me that clips don't fit the 2016 ford standard version.
It looks like Ford (I'm assuming has welded or somehow attached a little round plate behind the holes that comes through that you can see in the pic. If they hadn't done that, I could probably use a nutsert or rivnut or something but they made the hole to small now for that option.
The company said no one else has had this problem and I'm hoping to hear back from OEM Ford parts on what part is used there on everyone else's running boards.... I'm literally at a loss of what to do next.
I really want these boards to work bc they are here and I don't want to deal with sending them back. I will get my money back etc if they don't work but they should work and I just want to see if there is something I don't know about, or what. I hope people here may have had the same experience as me and can shed some light on the situation for me.
Thanks in advance and thanks for having me here!
Velvet

PS- For clarification: one pic is of the 'self tapping m8 screw (about to fall out) and one pic is of the general situation

Attachments

• Running boards.jpeg
    Running boards.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2
  • running boards 2.jpeg
    running boards 2.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2