Going down in rim size, improve off-road ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was reading in one of the 4-wheeler magazines on this subject earlier (I offroad my Explorer quite a bit). The general rule of thumb they suggest is double tire size to wheel size (at least). IE, 15" wheels/30" or bigger tires, 16" wheels/32" or bigger and so on. Of course they are talking extreme off road. But the point is more sidewall for more "give", softer ride, bigger footprint.

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk
I'd be down for some 36" tires :superhack:

:D

schmaltz

Reaction score
I'm spending more and more time off-road with my Expedition. A lot of fire roads/dirt roads with washboard. I currently have 20" rims and was thinking about going to 18" rims with the hope it'll help with off-road ride.

Love to hear people's experience/thoughts?
I foolishly upgraded to 20 inch rims when I was city living... now I need to go back. Ugh.

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm considering "downsizing" from 18" to 17" (when these 18" tires need replacing) just so I can buy a spare to match the other 4 tires. I just dont like the idea of my spare being bigger or smaller than the other tires.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm considering "downsizing" from 18" to 17" (when these 18" tires need replacing) just so I can buy a spare to match the other 4 tires. I just dont like the idea of my spare being bigger or smaller than the other tires.

As long as the overall diameter is close it will not make a difference for short spare distance use.
Just put the spare on the front and don’t run 4x4 and auto.
I went 18s and will go with a matching spare here shortly so I can have the tires the exact same.
Since I off-road if I lose a tire on the trails it can be tough to swap to tires to get the spare to the front and may still need 4x4 to at least get back to pavement.