Good samaritan by me = bumper pulled off truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two days ago driving to work I happen upon a 1/2 T Chevy pick up in a ditch. Because I'm a good guy I stop to help; hooking up a tow strap to my front bumper, and to his rear bumper.

Did a small pull, and it moved the truck a foot. At the second pull the entire front bumper ripped off and crashed to the ground. Sorry I don't have pics, but here's the aftermath - see attached.

Note the "Welds" - surface welds; probably less than a typical 'tack weld'.

Yesterday I dropped the truck at a place who custom-fabs Trailers; I'll get pics of those welds today and post-up - $225 later the guy said he'd bet his business the grade 8 bolts I have holding the bumper on will fail before his welds.

Live and learn - NEVER skimp on welds, folks.

Attachments

• broken_weld_bumper_3.jpg
    broken_weld_bumper_3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 112
  • broken_weld_bumper_2.jpg
    broken_weld_bumper_2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 109
  • broken_weld_bumper_damage.jpg
    broken_weld_bumper_damage.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 112
  • welded_piece.jpg
    welded_piece.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 93

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your misfortune I would venture to guess you'll think twice about being a nice guy next time.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That would suck. I bet the Chevy guy felt bad too. I hate when shops take the easiest way. It almost always ends up in something going wrong...

Sent from the Pocket Computer

OP
OP
D

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^^ This. Imagine being in a precarious situation and having that happen; then my truck tumbles off a cliff.

OP
OP
D

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No - because it's not their fault. They didn't weld the brackets; they shipped the brackets in pieces; I paid a shop to weld the brackets then paid another shop to weld them right. :)