Grill and Foglight removal??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any tips on grill and foglight removal on a 2016. Any hidden clips or sweet spots to help remove them?
Going to be doing away with the chrome.
Thanks

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've only removed the fog lights after having removed the bumper. They're just screwed on. The grille is screw clipped on to the top trim and to the bumper for sure but I can't remember if it's attached on the sides. To verify, It's really easy to remove the headlights (two bolts on top & pull straight forward after releasing the top clip) . Doing so will give your hands some generous room & help you see behind the grille.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Black ,did you find a compatible grille replacement? I too want to eliminate the chrome.

No replacement.
Tested Rustoleum Peel Coat (failed)

Now going to test Gunmetal Plastidip with Glossifier. I don't just want flat black. I want it to contrast slightly with the already metallic like graphite color that is two toned with the chrome.

I know some folks that have a laser duplicator and a 3d printer but I am not sure the grille will fit in the duplicator. But I need to get a chance to run it over there.

If that fails, I will have it professionally painted as even junkyard grilles are $750 and I don't want to screw it up too bad. The Autobody I use has a lifetime guarantee.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The grille is chrome-plated plastic. This is done with a process that deposits a coat of copper on the part and then overlays nickle and chrome over that, so it is a real metal finish. I imagine if you scuffed it and used a quality metal etching primer you could successfully paint it. But, of course, anytime something impacted the grille (bugs, etc.) the paint could be chipped off. I wonder if some sort of powder-coat finish might be a better choice (but I'm not sure that's possible with plastic?).

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don’t understand why the grille is so expensive. The grilles are just plastic sprayed with a chrome paint, nothing special. I don’t believe there is any “real metal” finish to them at all, when they age they bubble up. The 07-14 one is about $300 which is expensive enough, then $650 for the 15-17’......crazy for a stupid piece of plastic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The grille is chrome-plated plastic. This is done with a process that deposits a coat of copper on the part and then overlays nickle and chrome over that, so it is a real metal finish. I imagine if you scuffed it and used a quality metal etching primer you could successfully paint it. But, of course, anytime something impacted the grille (bugs, etc.) the paint could be chipped off. I wonder if some sort of powder-coat finish might be a better choice (but I'm not sure that's possible with plastic?).

There are low temperature powder coats (for plastic) but they tend to be a flat or matte finish which I do not want.

Hydrodipping is another possibility.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The SSV (police fleet) grilles for the 2007-2014 are a low-luster black as is the 15-17. You can clear-coat one of these for a gloss. This guy wants $270 for a used, unplated piece of plastic:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-09-1...311346?hash=item2ab4e19df2:g:vMEAAOSwiZZbjlrW

There is also a black chrome grille that was used on some year black Limiteds. Some other year black Limiteds had a high gloss (painted) grille. Look on ebay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The SSV (police fleet) grilles for the 2007-2014 are a low-luster black as is the 15-17. You can clear-coat one of these for a gloss. This guy wants $270 for a used, unplated piece of plastic:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-09-1...311346?hash=item2ab4e19df2:g:vMEAAOSwiZZbjlrW

There is also a black chrome grille that was used on some year black Limiteds. Some other year black Limiteds had a high gloss (painted) grille. Look on ebay.

I would just buy the factory one in the black/graphite color.
But I have yet to locate a 15-17 grille for under $750.