Grinding noise during startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every fourth gen I have come across with over 10k on the odometer sounds exactly like that. My 2018 sounded identical. Kept the finest synthetic every changed every 5k. The new one doesn’t but it only has 500 miles

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every fourth gen I have come across with over 10k on the odometer sounds exactly like that. My 2018 sounded identical. Kept the finest synthetic every changed every 5k. The new one doesn’t but it only has 500 miles
The one you’re about to trade had a cam phaser issue and made all that racket upon each startup??

OrangeWhipX3

Reaction score
Stretched timing chain. I had a 2013 F-150 that did exactly that. Mine was fixed under powertrain warranty. Barely got it in under the five years.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score

My 2018 has 15K miles and sounds just like the day I bought it with 0 miles (well 16 or something miles). I've only changed the oil once at 10K miles and used Mobil 1 Synthetic.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stretched timing chain. I had a 2013 F-150 that did exactly that. Mine was fixed under powertrain warranty. Barely got it in under the five years.
Yeah that’s a gen 1 ecoboost pal. Thy had all sorts of issues with your engine. These are a little different

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The one you’re about to trade had a cam phaser issue and made all that racket upon each startup??
Yes, so do both of my friends 2018s. So do the used ones we looked at for me (I’m about to get a used XLT for work) they all had valve noise upon start up.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, so do both of my friends 2018s. So do the used ones we looked at for me (I’m about to get a used XLT for work) they all had valve noise upon start up.
That’s crazy. And you’re getting a new one anyway... so is this issue an inevitability or if you haven’t had it happen, by let’s say 20k miles, you should be ok?

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s crazy. And you’re getting a new one anyway... so is this issue an inevitability or if you haven’t had it happen, by let’s say 20k miles, you should be ok?

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
we already got the new one! but no it didnt effect my decision. its a little bit of valve noise before the vvt kicks in. i dont think its the end of the world. annoying, yes, detrimental......not sure???? there are lots of these trucks with 200,000-300,000 miles on them.

now that we are discussing it, sure would love to get a professionals opinion as to what it is and what the risks are.