Grinding noise during startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t know who the oil question was direct to but thought I’d share my experience.

I have been changing my oil every 5-7k since new. Always use a motorcraft filter and started with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 then switched to Mobil 1 EP 5w30.

Started the sound at some point after the first change (PP) and didn’t make a bit of difference when I switched to the Mobil. Been driving it for 15k making the noise. It’s only after it sits overnight.

It was directed at everyone; hoping someone knew whether the EB engines have a pre-start oil pressurization design/system. It dosen't matter what oil or oil filter is used. If, at start-up, the critical lubrication points are void (or nearly so) of oil, that's a bad design.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s a mechanical pump thus no pressure until the motor is cranking. That’s why if you hold the gas pedal to the floor when you push the start button (with the brake) it will just crank and not fire. Do that for 3-5 seconds let off the gas and it fires with no sound at startup.

I did run by the dealer this morning to ask about that SSM. He pulled it up and it does state a TSB is coming fourth quarter 2019.

Last edited:

Bill Galvin

Reaction score
Just had my 2018 in for cam phaser service . Same noise after truck sat overnight or a long time. Truck out of service a month while parts and work were done. 28,000 miles

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s a mechanical pump thus no pressure until the motor is cranking. That’s why if you hold the gas pedal to the floor when you push the start button (with the brake) it will just crank and not fire. Do that for 3-5 seconds let off the gas and it fires with no sound at startup.

I did run by the dealer this morning to ask about that SSM. He pulled it up and it does state a TSB is coming fourth quarter 2019.

Well, that would explain the issue. So depressing/holding the accelerator to the floor at startup will allow the engine to crank but not fire?

Regarding the TSB, did your dealer say what Ford is offering to do? If they are just replacing worn parts in hopes they'll last past your warranty, that's BALONEY. What they should do is include a oil pressure system that fixes the original design shortcoming.

This isn't getting it done and needs some help :sad72:

upload_2019-10-4_15-54-54.png

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Cam Phasers again? Good job fixing that issue Ford!

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, that would explain the issue. So depressing/holding the accelerator to the floor at startup will allow the engine to crank but not fire?

Regarding the TSB, did your dealer say what Ford is offering to do? If they are just replacing worn parts in hopes they'll last past your warranty, that's BALONEY. What they should do is include a oil pressure system that fixes the original design shortcoming.

This isn't getting it done and needs some help :sad72:

View attachment 32625

I was looking at the computer with him. No details on what the tsb will be specifically. At the time the SSM just replaces the cam phasers and updates the programming. Something must have changed in the part because it is only related to vehicles built prior to 4/8/2019

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was looking at the computer with him. No details on what the tsb will be specifically. At the time the SSM just replaces the cam phasers and updates the programming. Something must have changed in the part because it is only related to vehicles built prior to 4/8/2019

Let's hope for a part design improvement instead of simply replacing parts and running customers past warranty.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found an article that said changes to the timing chain design and material were made in 2017 and introduced to the Expedition and Navigator in 2018. At least Ford is working to address the known shortcomings. Whether they have solved them remains to be seen.

upload_2019-10-6_7-38-27.png

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Folks, this is way beyond my knowledge. But I have been hearing same noise on cold starts since almost new, at least as long as I can remember. Is this the same issue everyone is talking about and how do you convince dealer to address.

I have a video I just shot but not sure how to upload.
Thanks,