Growl from engine compartment, possible power steering...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnSKepler

Reaction score
Hi, all. Hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day weekend!

I've got a 2014 4x4 Limited. Bought it at 95K two and-a-half years ago in pristine condition. Been a great car and now has close to 120K. I just replaced a water pump - man what a simple job! That o-ring is the bomb. No gasket material to remove. While I was at it I did a full coolant flush.

Anyway, for a while now, probably a year and a half at least, I'm getting a quiet growl at times from the engine compartment. It is intermittent and is worse when the engine is cold, and worse when cold outside. It almost only ever manifests when I've taken a left turn and am turning the wheel back to the right. It can even be a minor directional adjustment when going down the road - not a lock to lock turn. It is probably most noticeable when navigating a parking lot making small directional changes around the center position (probably because it is quiet and I can hear it better with no road noise.)

At any rate, it doesn't appear to be engine related or drive train related. That leaves an accessory. The only one doing anything when I'm turning is the power steering pump and the power steering slave. I'm not even sure what the Expedition uses but I'd guess it's a rack and pinion.

Since they made a LOT of these, I'm guessing others have seen, or rather heard, this exact same phenomenon. Thoughts???

Thanks!

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Slave? You might as well just replace the pump. You can get them with or without the pulley, new and rebuilt, or a good used one online with the pulley on it. Do that for starters at least. You can save money without the pully but you need a puller and a press and make sure nobody hears you swearing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX