haunted truck HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

longeye69

Reaction score
i have a 1997 ford expidition the problem im having is every time i turn my running or headlights on my engine sputters n dies and my mph climb in park turn them off and i can fire it right back up also when i turn them on without the key in theres a clicking noise from under the dash when i turn my heat on it iluminates the blinker icons by the speedometer im losing it nobody can give me a straight ansewer?PLEASE HELP TOOK IT TO AUTOZONE THEY SAID THE ALTERNATOR IS WORKING FINE im at a loss

cardude427

Reaction score
Well a clicking noise is usually a relay cycling on and off. I don't know if it is the same thing but in my 1997 5.4 EB Expedition, Something called the gem went bad and it caused all sorts of weird electrical problems.... windows wouldnt work properly, dash lights flickered, signals would go on and not come off, interior lights would stay on if your truck was on or off, driving or not and when ever anything happened there was a noise from a relay under the dash. When we finally decided to take it in we took it into a local mechanic and he managed to diagnosis to the gem which wasnt fun because we had to get it done by Ford and they charged close to 1k to replace it.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
How long have you had the truck?
Did this start happening out of the blue?

Some of this stuff sounds like the issues that happen to vehicles that have been in a flood.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
it could have the dreaded windsheald leak.
The water drips on to the gem modual which does crazy thing to the truck. Look at the E=brake see if you can see rust,check
the carpet/ padding to see if its wet.

OP
OP
L

longeye69

Reaction score
i havent been able to find any shorts havent found any moisture got the entire dash apart this sucks where is the gem module?

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
rereading this post im thinking you have a ground or a positive problem look ar all of yor cabels for corosion also get the battery load tested