"HD" tow package 2005 Eddie Bauer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
P

psudmb326

Reaction score
Hmm! That sounds great! How could you tell it still had the rocker panels? I had to replace them on mine. I’ll have to get ahold of this guy. Do you know him?

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No i dont know him, he just happened to post very recently and it only has 82k miles which was surprising. Picture 2 and a little piece of 11 on the craiglist ad show rocker panel, at least way more than mine. Drivers door and other angles aren't available though I admit, but i bet if you ask he'd supply additional pictures since he's a forum member too.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry, Really do not think ALL Expys come with Class 4 hitch.
Specs for the vehicle in this post say Class III unless HD Tow Package

As far as what I think …
think you should buy one with HD Tow Package but know you wont
Best of Luck !!
The hitch itself is a class 4, It is the rest of the truck that makes it a class 3 in the specs.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is considered Class 3 and class 4 hitch. The difference is in the weight the truck is specked to tow. which is only 6000lbs unless you have the HD package. Look up a class 3 hitch for sale and you will see immediately that it is far weaker than the hitches on our trucks.

Plati

Reaction score
It is considered Class 3 and class 4 hitch. The difference is in the weight the truck is specked to tow. which is only 6000lbs unless you have the HD package. Look up a class 3 hitch for sale and you will see immediately that it is far weaker than the hitches on our trucks.
Ok. I was going on certain places where its identified as a Class III hitch. But you cant believe everything you read on the internet. I was thinking the "hitch" is the mechanical connection (not the cooler or brake controller wiring etc). Class IV is beefier and can handle more weight. I see many places its stated that standard is a Class III hitch.

The 2005 Ford Expedition comes with one engine, a 5.4-liter sohc V8 that uses variable valve timing and three valves per cylinder to develop 300 horsepower and 365 pound-feet of torque. It comes with a four-speed automatic. The new engine replaces both engines used last year.

Four trim levels are available: XLS, XLT, Eddie Bauer, and Limited. Each of these is offered with rear-wheel drive (2WD) or four-wheel drive (4WD).

XLS ($32,720) and XLS 4WD ($35,290) are the value-conscious models. They come well equipped, but offer little in the way of options. Standard features on XLS include four-wheel-disc brakes with ABS, air conditioning, tilt steering column, cruise control, privacy glass, fold-away power mirrors with approach lamps, power locks with remote keyless entry and SecuriLock security system, automatic headlamps, AM/FM/CD stereo, a Class III trailer hitch with a four-pin connector, and 17-inch steel wheels. Seats are three cloth-covered benches: split 60/40 in the first row with six-way power for the driver; split 40/20/40 in the second row to allow the CenterSlide feature; and split 60/40 in the third row.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

psudmb326

Reaction score
Yea so I went out and took a look under the truck at the hitch and it says right on it 6000 lb trailer or 8500 with weight distribution hitch

I’d have to agree that it probably won’t be the hitch that fails... likely the transmission unless I get this trans cooler

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep in mind too, you've got the red haired step child 2005 Expedition, the most temperamental year of all the 24 valvers. Don't push a good running vehicle with an undoable strain.
Moose said it best out of all of us. It would suck for you to do all these upgrades and then the "redheaded stepchild of engines" goes out.

OP
OP
P

psudmb326

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. To avoid worry I just went out and bought an 05 v10 excursion. I think I’m good now, hah.

I do happen to have a really nice Expedition for sale now if anyone is interested