"HD" tow package 2005 Eddie Bauer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

psudmb326

Reaction score
Ok Guys (and Girls) I need some help.

I have a 2005 EB Expy. Have read tons of posts on here -- it has helped me fix my truck SO many times, so thank you. I've learned everything from fixing the a/c clunk in the rear to knowing how to get out the broken off plugs.

One problem I can't seem to find an answer for is this "HD" tow package. I look online, says the truck can tow 6000 lbs. I need to tow ~7300 lbs. I look on the 2005 Ford Tow guide and it says my truck can tow ~8500 lbs with this mythical heavy duty tow package. I call the dealer and ask them if they can add it to my truck and they tell me to buy a new truck, but given the sweat and tears I've put into mine, I just can't do it, nor can I afford it. I call another dealer and they tell me that my truck has the standard tow package based on my VIN number. I ask what can I do to upgrade it, they tell me to buy a new truck. The third dealer I called told me I had to buy all the parts individually, but they wouldn't tell me what they were.

So can someone help me? What do I need? I know I need a weight distribution hitch, but I thought that would fit into my existing 2" receiver and be essentially an upgrade for the trailer, not necessarily the truck. Am I totally wrong? I also know that I need to modify the wiring to account for the electric brakes (the wire that is capped off on my existing 4 wire harness) Do I need other things?

Thank you in advance. I really, really appreciate it.

Dave

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The reason they told you to get a new truck is because you would need to change so much on your truck (transmission, rear end, suspension, brakes) (4WD? even more to change out) The 2" hitch itself is fine its the rest of the truck that makes HD towing. Almost easier to tell you what you don't have to change out or upgrade.
If you do all the upgrades, your truck that you love won't be the same anyway. It will drive different, feel different and get less gas mileage as well.

It would be cheaper to get a used truck with the HD tow package.

But if you are bound and determined,
How mechanically incline are you? Try to find a junked Expy with HD tow package and do yourself. few and far between because others are doing this upgrade as well. And have it match to your specific truck even harder so make sure you do your homework before doing this.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're going to be towing 7300lbs + any big distances I would recommend at least an F250, not the Expy. Just for the bigger brakes and lower towing gearing of the F250. Your Expy won't last long towing that weight long haul.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with the others. Anytime you tow, even at lighter loads, 4,000 pounds or so, your putting a strain on already worn components. You'd need to beef up the transmission cooler, the radiator, add cooling electric fans, shocks/struts, the list goes on. Keep in mind too, you've got the red haired step child 2005 Expedition, the most temperamental year of all the 24 valvers. Don't push a good running vehicle with an undoable strain. Buy a used F250/350 diesel, or big block gas one. Those vehicles are designed for what your trying to do. A good friend towed his 8,000 pound trailer with a 2002 Diesel, and never had an issue. He towed regularly cross Country.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

psudmb326

Reaction score
Ok, now hold on a second guys. I already know it has the 3.73 gears. It also already has upgraded shocks because of the 5500 lb load I tow all the time. Sure, I had to put a new tranny in it at 125k, but that's better than a new truck. I'm not worried about electrical, that's my trade and I already replaced all that. I also installed the electric brake controller etc. Brakes, well, I guess I can further Upgrade, but I already did that once, and also replaced all the brakelines with SS ones... God that job was a pain!

From what I see from the above link I certainly need the trans cooler and larger radiator. Those aren't too hard to replace... I just need the part numbers! Seems like the last question is the hitch. Anyone know if the 6000lb hitch is the same as the HD hitch? Seems like there are mixed opinions. Shocking, I know. ;-)

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Expy comes with a Class IV hitch from the factory. The Class IV hitch is rated for tow loads of up to 12,000 lbs and tongue weights of up to 1,000 lbs . The hitch on your Expy is not going to be the weak link.

OP
OP
P

psudmb326

Reaction score
Ok thank you. It sounds like I just need to figure out the wiring, electric brake controller, trans cooler and maybe a radiator cooler then. Oh, and also buy a weight distribution hitch. Anything else im missing? I looked up some of the prices for this stuff. Sounds like I’m talking about $500 at most. I mind as well try it, especially since the trade in on this thing is only like 2500. What do you guys think?

Plati

Reaction score
Sorry, Really do not think ALL Expys come with Class 4 hitch.
Specs for the vehicle in this post say Class III unless HD Tow Package

As far as what I think …
think you should buy one with HD Tow Package but know you wont
Best of Luck !!

OP
OP
P

psudmb326

Reaction score
Eh, I probably would, that is, if I could find one. WAY easier said than done. You have any good leads?