HD Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ospreyfe55

Reaction score
I had this posted in a different topic area but figured I would put it here for review. - -
I've been looking around and just wanted to get some more information on my 12' Expedition. My wife and I are looking to purchase a 30' Travel Trailer, it weighs just shy 5800# empty. Our current Expi Limited does not have the HD tow package. So I went to the local dealership to get part numbers and prices on what I would need to set up the HD tow package. I without a doubt will install a brake controller, however is the factory Trans cooler sufficient? Should I replace the radiator for the Super cool one Ford offers? I have a list of part numbers if someone wants me to post them. I would just like to set my truck up to make it safe and efficient. Also currently I live in the panhandle of Florida and we are moving to New Mexico in the spring. The altitude in NM is about 5300' and we plan on towing through out Colorado and Arizona. And just incase someone says get a new truck, thats not really an option since I just got the truck and we are a family of 7!

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just FYI, that may be a little much for your Expy. By the time you load your trailer, expect travel weight at about 7,500+ pounds. That would be ok for short little weekend runs, but I wouldn't recommend long hauls. And I damsure wouldn't recommend towing in the hills! Your truck brakes will be lacking...
My recommendation, trade for an Excursion. Plenty of room for your family and the Super Duty chassis to do the towing. Horse has to come before cart.

B

bedrck46

have to agree with Yudaman Just how safe should you be for a family of 7 better to have to much power than not enough

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
O

ospreyfe55

Reaction score
Well thanks for the input. I looked into an Excursion and they want way more then what they are worth. Plus we just but our Expi about 6 months so we would lose on trade in. I was under the impression that with the HD tow package installed I could tow up to 8900# 4×2 EL. My EL is already equipt with the IV class hitch and I am in the process of installing the remaining 2 wires to complete the 7pin install. I would also install a brake controller. But maybe the dream of owning an rv may have to wait a few more years. But then again I can always go back to a Chevy Suburban!

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't lose your dream of an RV!!!!
I tow my 24' very regularly behind my '98EB. All I was saying is a 30' may be a little large...
If you really need the extra length, look for a Lite or Ultra Lite series. From my experience with two different Gen 1's, 4,000-5,000lbs will handle fine. 7,000+ starts landing you into what I classify as an "unsafe" category.
By all means follow your dreams of camping and RV'ing, but please don't do it at the cost of putting your family in harm's way.
Another good rule of thumb, an Expedition is basically a light 1/2ton truck. Would you tow an 8,000 pound trailer behind a 1/2 ton? I would rather not, but I have done it. I also don't recommend others to do it on a regular basis. For that kind of load a 3/4 ton fits the bill much better.
In the end, the decision is yours.

B

bedrck46

May I ask what is your level of experience in towing an RV?

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
May I ask what is your level of experience in towing an RV?

Mine? Fairly extensive. I have been a member of the "Camper Club" of my local Moose Lodge for nearly 20 years. We go out one weekend every month, and sometimes two. Along with that, my family enjoys camping on a regular basis. Whether that be the high mountain lakes for a weekend or longer, or our annual 10 day dry camp 200 miles away for deer hunting.
In my latter teenage years I hauled a 8' cabover camper on my F-250, then graduated to a 19' travel trailer. A few years later moved up to a 24' which I have pulled with two different Expy's and my sister's '99 F-150. Once in a while I draw the short straw and get to drag around a 25' Komfort owned by my parents that crosses the scales at 8,000lbs! That trailer is a complete nightmare to tow!!! It was towed by my dad for a few years behind an F-150, which he nearly pulled the guts out of the 5.0L with a 5 speed. Since then, the rig of choice has been a '01 F-250SD with a V-10 to tow it. My '79 F-250 with a 390 and a 4 speed just barely keeps it on the road.
I know my old F-250 can handle the weight. I have hauled up to 6 horses in my 20' gooseneck stock trailer with no issues. That load would have crossed the scales at about 12,000lbs. Typically 4 horses was a standard load for a riding trip (roughly 9,000lbs).
Add in 7 years of stock car racing towing a 14' flatbed with a stock car loaded on it several days a week for about 6 months of the year.
So, yeah. I have done quite a bit of towing...

B

bedrck46

Yudaman That question wasn't for you as I can tell by your comments that you have a great deal of experience. I have a good deal myself but sad to say some has been learned the hard way I wasn't driving but I did walk away from one that jacked-knife while my ex wife was driving also happened on the day I decided to give up smoking thanks to the driver that gave me a pace as he said I looked like I need one.

Towing involves many factors some of which include engine size, axel ratio, type of hitch, sway control, and condition of equipment just to list a few

OP
OP
O

ospreyfe55

Reaction score
My experience towing RVs is minor, I have towed a few pop ups over the year but towing for me has been in the form of car haulers. As far as giving up on the dream rv, I'm not really looking to do that. Bottom line I went last weekend to Camping World, showed them my Expi, family size and what we might be interested in. They showed me a few ultralites and we really liked the Shasta Flyte 305qb. I can't seem to find the GVW for the trailer anywhere online. I am not some moron that just hooks up a trailer and as with anything experience comes from trial and error. It also comes for individuals that are willing to teach and not criticize. Maybe I am taking a few replies as such however when I go to a trust nationwide dealer of RVs and the first thing out of the Manager's mouth was safety I figured it was being lead in the right direction. I just basically asked if my vehicle was capable of pulling such TT in its capacity, i.e. upgraded HD Tow package, brake controller and anything else I may be missing. Im trying to do my homework on what I need to look for or at. Is the factory Cooler sufficient or should I go with something aftermarket?

B

bedrck46

Can't go wrong with a better cooler package. I once had a dealer tell me that I could haul a 31ft prowler with a S10 blazer with a 6cyl engine needless to say he didn't make a sale btw I already had the trailer and found a 3/4 ton Chevy Sub with 454 and 3.73 rear to haul the trailer wish I had the 4.10 rear or whatever chevy used at that time I have no doubt that your expy will haul a 30ft trailer Would I do it maybe on flat ground but not in NM or Colo on those hills