Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
so no header tape? i want my heat to go down as well. but also if you need new manifolds thats when you put in new shortys. since they need to be replaced anyways.

Header wrap works but much prefer ceramic coating for reasons mentioned above.

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
shorty headers are worthless and unlike a 5.0 fox mustang they are NOT at all fun to put on. Also, overlooked often but if you wanna decrease temps (slightly) remove the sound deadening hood liner...traps lots of heat

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of mods coming soon...prob next year is venting the side fenders...that should release some heat...

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That Jet Performance doesn't sound too bad. It's only like $17.00!! I think I can handle that.

Hey hunter autozone carries low temp thermostats in their lil performance section. Im gonna do electric fans an oil cooler larger tranny cooler both with small fans on temp switches and edge programmer to up shift pressure which will lower trans temp due to less slipage ....sorry if cant spell just had surgery still in hospital full of tubes and hydroMORPHine.

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally stay away from header wrap. Tried it on my stang and its a PITA to install plus it is known to accelerate rusting and deterioration of your headers. One of ceramic coatings greatest benefits comes from coating the inside of the headers. It "reflects" the heat away and keeps it from being absorbed by the headers.

X10000000000000 about the rusting. And on top of that, I had them on my G37 to reduce the rasp. It worked but the problem is that when it rained or in the morning with the dew it smelled like something was buring since the wrap was getting hot.

rewarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm probably nuts but I think I found some long tube headers. I did a quick google search and found these: http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/headers_truck.php#notes

They say they fit 1999 Ford Expedition 5.4L XLT and other years. Is this true? Or are these guys selling bogus stuff? They also have them on Ebay for like $295.00 Someone set me straight.

Hey hunter autozone carries low temp thermostats in their lil performance section. Im gonna do electric fans an oil cooler larger tranny cooler both with small fans on temp switches and edge programmer to up shift pressure which will lower trans temp due to less slipage ....sorry if cant spell just had surgery still in hospital full of tubes and hydroMORPHine.

Get out of the hospital - they have horrible food!! Stay Healthy and thanks for the info. I'll check into it.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
shorty headers are worthless and unlike a 5.0 fox mustang they are NOT at all fun to put on. Also, overlooked often but if you wanna decrease temps (slightly) remove the sound deadening hood liner...traps lots of heat

I would agree on a bone stock expy. They do not work to scavange exhaust like tuned (long tube) headers. But done as part of a system, say the rest of the exhaust is addressed also, they will reduce back pressure due to the larger size of the primaries. Just like any other mod short of maybe programmer or gears the whole system needs to be addressed. The factory has well matched all the components as a whole so no one component typically by itself does much.

I needed much higher flowing exhaust with my set up. So I went with 1 5/8" shorties since long tubes were unavailable. The ceramic coating was an extra that I went for (seen it used on mustangs) and was amazed at how well it actually works. You do not get the radiant heat you typically get with headers or cast manifold. This is why under hood temps are dramatically reduced.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I'm probably nuts but I think I found some long tube headers. I did a quick google search and found these: http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/headers_truck.php#notes

They say they fit 1999 Ford Expedition 5.4L XLT and other years. Is this true? Or are these guys selling bogus stuff? They also have them on Ebay for like $295.00 Someone set me straight.

Get out of the hospital - they have horrible food!! Stay Healthy and thanks for the info. I'll check into it.

Look at Note 14

Then try and find them when you click on ford longtube headers.

Last edited: