Headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C LePoudre

Reaction score
Hi..new to the forum. Just purchased a 99 Expd with 4.6L and love it so far. However, the exhaust manifold has a nice big crack in it.

I was thinking since I have to fix it anyways I'd put headers on instead of replacing the stock mani. Any recommends regarding brand (quick search on summit shows there are several options). Also (and I appreciate this is likely been hashed over again and again) but what should I expect with respect to power and mileage differences.

I'll also be upgrading to a K&N filter right away. I live in Canada, so I'd like to keep the stock air box for the warm air on them cold azz days.

Btw: The truck will occassionally tow, as I have a rally car and travel for races.

Thanks,
Chad.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go with the JBA in either stainless or Ceramic coated. You will need that if they salt the roads in the winter up there. You will notice a slight power improvement and a change in exhaust tone. You will also hear a little more valvetrain noise coming from the engine compartment.
Matt R

BassQuake9000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the JBA stainless steel shorty headers for my 98 4.6l Expy, and they gave me one of the biggest power increases that I've seen from any of my mods so far.

OP
OP
C

C LePoudre

Reaction score
Thanks...good advice, but I've noticed that the JBA headers are the most expensive ones available (at least on the Summit website).

This truck already has 215k. I drive them until they get to over 300k, then I'll sell it and pick up another. If the JBA headers were only $100 more than some of the other brands, then I'd say ok but I can almost buy 3 pair of pacesetter ceramic coated headers for the same price as the JBA's.

Also...I'm interested in the higher/lower fuel mileage with headers debate.

Thanks